Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Philip Luck - master tea dealer

Philip Luck was born in Heathfield on 22nd April 1792. He moved to Eastbourne and married there on 10th May 1824 to Jane Habgood Coppard, daughter of Denis Coppard & Dinah Habgood. Philip died in Bethnal Green on 20th Nov 1858 and Jane in Eastbourne on 14th Aug 1879.

Philip & Jane had nine children that I have found, all born in Eastbourne. What I have not found with any certainty is Philip's parents. They could be Philip born c 1763 & Ann Pain born c 1771, married in Hurstmonceux on 6th March 1791.

This Luck line is a direct line to my husband, Philip & Jane were his great-great-grandparents, so any help would be very welcome.

Regards

Pauline Luck

pipemma

Thumbs up kuck

Hi There. I think you are right about Phillip Luck and Ann Pain. married 6.3.1791. Herstmonceaux.Sussex. FHL Film. 1468901.
    Got this from the Latest Vital Records from the british Isles. Hope this helps a bit.
    They had a Phillip and an Elizabeh Taylor. both christened on 27.12.1793. Warbleton.Sussex.England. Good Luck. Eve in OZ.

Starting to feel at home

Default Philip & Ann Luck

Hi Eve, thanks for your reply

I had found the children' baptism entries on the I.G.I but because I am uncertain about the parents, Philip Luck & Ann Pain, I had not entered them on my 'tree'.

It is so easy to starting climbing into the wrong one and there are quite a few Philip Lucks in Sussex at that time. I am hoping that someone with access to the P.R's will have more info on Philip, perhaps an occupation.

What a shame they didn't take a census in 1801!

Regards
    Pauline
    Last edited by pollymusic; 27-11-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Jane M

Hi Pauline,
    These are the two marriages you mentioned.

Herstmonceux, East Sussex, 6 Mar 1791
    Philip LUCK, Heathfield
    Ann PAIN, (lic)

Eastbourne, East Sussex, 10 May 1824
    Philip LUCK, Hailsham
    Jane COPPARD, otp (B)

As there were only five marriages on the Sussex Marriage Index in the name of Philip Luck, here they are excluding the two above,

11 Jul 1756 Philip LUCK Elizabeth LUCK Heathfield, East Sussex. By licence
    26 Sep 1781 Philip LUCK Mary BALCOMB Burwash, East Sussex. Philip from Heathfield, Mary a widow
    16 Sep 1816 Philip LUCK Abigail TAYLOR Rye, East Sussex

Do you think there's a chance that Philip the alleged father married twice? First to Mary Balcomb then to Ann Pain? The Ann Pain marriage was by licence so if you could find the allegation that might give Philip's age.
    Try looking for a will, that usually is a good source of family relationships!

Jane

Starting to feel at home

Default Philip Luck

Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply. I do have the will of the younger Philip (1858) but not for Philip senior. I do have death certs for what might be Ann & Philip. Philip died 13th Feb 1848 in Heathfield aged 85 and Ann 'widow of Philip' 29th Nov 1849 also Heathfield aged 78. Unhelpfully, no family members appear to have registered either

Can I ask you where I might look/go to find the allegation for the marriage to Ann Pain? I am used to P.R's and the like but this is a new area for me.

Pauline

Jane M

Hi Pauline,

I found some of my lot on English Origins it's a pay-per-view site but you can do a search for free. If you're able to make a trip to London, they can be viewed at the SOG (non-members pay by the hour to use the facilities but well worth it as they have a lot of early stuff) the SOG also has a good website that you can check out & read-up about marriage allegations, which is the sworn statement made by (usually the groom) or his sponsor that he's free to marry. An allegation is not always proof positive that a marriage took place as the couple could easily decide not to.
    Failing that, contact the East Sussex Records Office & see if they hold any.
    Have you tracked the family in the 1841 census? There's always the chance that Philip senior & Ann are with or nearby Philip junior!
    Another site always worth a visit in these circumstances is Access to Archives. I've just done a quick search for 'Philip Luck" & got three returns which look to be connected with your bunch all information is with the East Sussex Records Office!

Jane

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Jane for your help and advice, I will have a look at all the places you have mentioned.
    I haven't found Philip & Ann on the 1841 census. I do have Philip junior. He was already living in Eastbourne with his wife and family. The next time I get to London I will have a check in Heathfield on the 1841. There might be other clues.

Regards Pauline

Jane M

You're welcome, Pauline. Happy Hunting,

Jane

MarcusL

Hi Pauline and Jane if you are still out there in cyber space I would be really interested in conversing with you about Philip Luck, Master Tea Dealer
    Regards
    Marcus Luck

Starting to feel at home

Default Phillip Luck

Hi Marcus and a Happy New Year

Yes..I am still out here. Where have you been! I have been fairly quiet on the Luck scene of late. Are you now looking to research the family?

Be good to hear from you

Pauline

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast