Thread: Witherington

John Henry

Question Witherington

Looking for birth and death details of Arthur Joseph WITHERINGTON (given names may be transposed), b: c. 1858 Westham, Essex. ---- d: unknown.
    Married Julia Jane Holland 9/3/1879,(Parish of James the Great???), Middlesex.
    Cannot find this bugger!

Lynda Cunningham

Hi John

I'm assuming that the census information below is your lad's family?

Just a thought, and you've probably been down this route already, but how about his older brother James. Have you found a birth certificate for him? Or a marriage for George & Maria (both providing a maiden name)
    Please excuse if I'm stating the obvious, but as I'm thinking along these lines anyway, I thought I'd think out loud here, just in case it helps?

I've been having a similar problem with a family of Smith children
    Yes I know, don't say it ....... and I'm beginning to wonder if the children were born as Smiths at all. The Smith name being a result of a second marriage (or a later marriage perhaps, with earlier children born out of wedlock) Or with a name like Smith, a sudden need to change identity ?

With the head of your family being a George, and the third son, not the first or second being a George. I just thought it might be significant?

Best wishes & Good Luck
    Lynda

1861 RG9/1059/78/9
    24 Nelson Street, West Ham
    George Witherington/Head/Mar/35/Dock Labourer/Middx Mile End
    Maria Witherington/Wife/Mar/25/Lancashire Immingham
    James Witherington/Son/5/Surrey Peckham
    Arthur J Witherington/Son/3/Scholar/Essex Plaistow
    George T? Witherington/Son/9mths/Essex Plaistow

1871 RG10/1632/15/25
    33 York Street West Ham
    George Witherington/Head/Mar/44/Labourer/Camberwell Surrey
    Maria Witherington/Wife/Mar/33/Warwick Warwick
    James Witherington/Son/15/Roller winder cotton/Peckham Surrey
    Joseph Witherington/Son/13/Yarn winder cotton/Plaistow
    George Witherington/Son/11/Plaistow
    Maria Witherington/Daur/9/Plaistow
    Annie A Witherington/Daur/4mths/Plaistow

1881 RG11/1717/98/7
    49 Bidder Street West Ham
    Joseph Witherington/Head/Mar/23/Dock Labourer/Essx West Ham
    Julia Witherington/Wife/Mar/21/Do/Middx Stoke Newington
    Last edited by Lynda Cunningham; 22-10-2005 at 1:25 PM.

keburton

Hi John Henry
    My second attempt to contact you. I am a descendant of AJ's brother George Thomas, son of george, son of Joseph. I have only recently found, in quite bizarre circumstamces, a link with the Watts family in New South Wales, where your namesake set sail for on 27th Feb 1912 together with his wife Charlotte (my first cousin twice removed) and their 5 children, accompanied by Harriet Witherington, Charlotte's sister.

Would love to exchange info with you

Keith Burton
    (Grandson of GT Witherington and grand-nephew of Arthur Joseph)

josie7644

Quote Originally Posted by keburton View Post
    Hi John Henry
    My second attempt to contact you. I am a descendant of AJ's brother George Thomas, son of george, son of Joseph. I have only recently found, in quite bizarre circumstamces, a link with the Watts family in New South Wales, where your namesake set sail for on 27th Feb 1912 together with his wife Charlotte (my first cousin twice removed) and their 5 children, accompanied by Harriet Witherington, Charlotte's sister.

Would love to exchange info with you

Keith Burton
    (Grandson of GT Witherington and grand-nephew of Arthur Joseph)
    Hello Keith,

The original thread was posted more than five years ago, so it's possible that John Henry no longer visits the site.

May I suggest that you send a Private Message to him? At least a PM would appear in his Inbox and might alert him to your interest.

Good luck!

Josie