Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Stevenson

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Thanks Glenys, it is a wonderful piece of information- I would strongly recommend anyone looking for coastguards try looking at this NA site and just do a search and see if your person is there. I was hoping to find John's earlier naval service, but found his Coastguard service details instead.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
    Thanks for the ULR Terry. I tried for my husband's John Peters but no joy. Never mind, you can't win them all.

Glenys

clarefmshaw

Thumbs up

Well, I must add my thanks to Terry for alerting the list to the Seamen's registers online at the NA. I remember quite a while ago that they had said they were getting these records online, but I forgot to check up on it.

I've now (in a few minutes) found the records of quite a few Crones and Lydens, which has saved me another expensive and time-consuming visit to the Archives. I have also found the naval record of my grandfather, James Smith, which I wouldn't have contemplated searching the Archives for in view of his name - there are hundreds!! Online I've been able to specify his place of birth (Ottawa, Canada) as a keyword and found him straightaway.

A brilliant resource online! Hurrah for the net!

Incidentally, can anyone suggest the best way to find out where a particular ship was at a particular time, ie when a relative was serving? Would it be necessary to check the ship's log at the Archives or is there any easier way?

best wishes to all
    Clare

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by clarefmshaw
    Incidentally, can anyone suggest the best way to find out where a particular ship was at a particular time, ie when a relative was serving? Would it be necessary to check the ship's log at the Archives or is there any easier way?
    Try 'The Navy List' - larger reference libraries usually keep a partial run.

Geoffers

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen
    Thanks for the ULR Terry. I tried for my husband's John Peters but no joy. Never mind, you can't win them all.
    TNA has not finished putting all the RN records 1853-1923 it intends online, so it may be worth checking in a week or two.

Geoffers

clarefmshaw

Thanks for the suggestion, Geoffers - my library has a copy, so will chase up.

Clare

Geoffers

Also, Paul Benyon's web-site has some details of many RN ships and their stations:
    https://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html

Geoffers

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    TNA has not finished putting all the RN records 1853-1923 it intends online, so it may be worth checking in a week or two.

Geoffers
    Thanks Geoffers, I will check back now and again. Also the other ULR you mentioned.

Glenys

Terry

Default Success

Well Folks, after some VERY speedy work by the Register Office in Berwick on Tweed I have now got the death certificate for the John Stevenson whose death was registered in Belford RD. I now have no doubt at all that it is the right man.
    The date of death is correct, the name and age are correct and so is the occupation.
    The only difference is the place where he died - it is recorded as "Sea Houses, North Sunderland RSD" and so another door opens and some more investigating to do.
    A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE who helped on this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12