Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Stevenson

Terry

Default John Stevenson

Having just found my gt grandfather John Stevenson in the 1861 census in the navy on a ship in Port Royal Jamaica, in 1871 census he was still in the navy but was at home with his family in Plymouth, and I know from the 1881 census that he then became a coastguard in Lincolnshire, and presume that John died between 1886(his last child was born in 1887 in Saltfleet) and 1891 census when his wife, down as a widow, and children were back in Plymouth. I am hoping to find his death/burial.
    From the 1881 census I can track him around by the birth of his children
    1873 to 79 in Fosdyke
    1880 in Saltfleet
    1881 in Skidbrook
    1887 in Saltfleet
    My other problem is that at that time the family appears to have been Catholic.(at least his marriage in Plymouth was at the RC church in Plymouth)

busyglen

Terry, I'm not sure when he was born, so these might not be relevant. I had some units spare on 1837online and did a bit of searching. I came across these two, which could be possibles, although I don't know where these two places are in relation to Saltfleet. They are in Lincs though.

1st Qtr. 1888
    John Stevenson, 82, Spalding 7a/229

Last Qtr. 1888
    John Stevenson, 83, Stamford, 7a/195

They may be red herrings, but thought I would throw them into the pot.

Glenys

Reputation beyond repute

How about

Deaths 1885, Jun, John Stevenson, age 42, Plympton 5b 152

Of course, if you actually have a confirmed date of birth of 1887 for the eldest son, that one might be unlikely.
    Last edited by Peter Goodey; 20-09-2005 at 7:54 PM.

Terry

Thanks Glenys, unfortunately a bit to old for my man.,

Peter, that is a very good possibilty, the age is right. No, I haven't got a confirmed birth date for the youngest child yet. On my list to get a certificate. But there was a definite child born Jun quarter 1885 in Lincs, and this last one appears on both the 1891 and 1901 census and both give the right ages for an 1886/7 birth
    I guess I will have to find the cash for a certificate for the last child.

Terry

Sorry Glenys and Peter forgot to thanks very much for looking for me I do appreciate it

Terry

Default Found

Well you won't believe this one, I looked again at the
    Registers of Seamen's Services on the National Archives site and lo & behold his record was there (wasn't there last week)
    The sheet I have is his Coastguard service (not his earlier Navy service) and his date of DEATH is there 30 June 1888 from a "Pulmonary Hemorrhage" You can't believe how long I've longed for this information.
    He was a Coastguard from 1873 to his death in 1888.
    Lists the ships he was on:-
    Audacious
    Fosdyke- shore?
    Newcastle
    Endymion
    Iron Duke
    Endymion (again)
    Audacious (again)
    Saltfleet- shore?
    Repulse
    Rupert
    Newton ?

Started as boatman and then a commisioned boatman, then a chief Boatman.(against this entry over to the right it says Promoted Tracom 4.3.85

I am over the moon

busyglen

Glad you found what you wanted Terry.

Glenys

Terry

Thanks Glenys, it is a wonderful piece of information- I would strongly recommend anyone looking for coastguards try looking at this NA site and just do a search and see if your person is there. I was hoping to find John's earlier naval service, but found his Coastguard service details instead.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    I would strongly recommend anyone looking for coastguards try looking at this NA site and just do a search and see if your person is there. I was hoping to find John's earlier naval service, but found his Coastguard service details instead.
    I'm sorry to have depressed you with my earlier posting which quoted TNA's research guide "Between 1866 and 1886 there is an unexplained gap in the records." ; and glad that you've been able to locate your chap's record of service. It makes me wonder if other "missing" Coastguard records are in fact included in the Registers of Seamen's Records.

Geoffers

Terry

I would think that is a good possibility or at least worth a check if you are looking within that period. What is strange is that this is only his Coastguard service and not including his previous navy service- its starts 1st Jan 1873 but against every entry it clearly says transferred to C.Guard. I've checked the ships listed and they were nearly all Hull Guard ships.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast