Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    G.I.Dave

Default RFA gunner T.W.LOVELOCK with Trench art pics

Hello,
    I have been searching for info on my Great Grandfather's WWI Exploits for years. I came across this site, and it actually had some info.

A little Introduction, My name is David T Lovelock, My middle name is from my Great Granddad. I am an American, But Great Grandfather fought with the British in WWI, He was Originally from Scotland. I am 39 Years old, 2 kids and happily married.
    I grew up on my Grandfathers lap, Hearing stories of Lovelock military History since I can remember. My Grandfather told me stories, of a Lovelock that served under Wellington at Waterloo. He himself served in Alaska building runways for Bombers, Serving in Adac and Attu.
    Grandpa had a "bum Knee" from a Japanese artillery shell that smashed his truck he was driving, and killed his passenger. He escaped death on the side of the mountain, and had many tales that captivated me as a young boy.
    Nothing held my attention more than the stories of my Great Grandfather, His dad, During the Great war. I have spent a large portion of my life studying the Great war, And now I would like to share a little of what has been passed down to me. I was 6 when he died, and 15 when my father died...So I am the keeper of all of these stories now, until my son takes them as his. I was very young, but I have a good memory. Any discrepancy with actual history please excuse, as I am still trying to figure everything out.
    Thomas Lovelock (My Great Grandfather), By my Father's, and Grandfathers accounts, was a HARD man. He had a voice Like a bullhorn, and was known to knock teeth out of men's head for the slightest disrespect. I was told he was the "toughest sonofabitch this world has seen" and although I dont remember meeting him, My mother seems to think I met him a baby.
    Great Granddad gleefully elisted at the start of the great war. and had survived many battles, Gas attacks, counter battery fire, and many other horrors That my brain cannot contemplate.
    One of the most memorable stories, That I asked my Granddad to tell me everytime I seen him...was about the battle of Mons. I understand Old men can spin a long tale, but everything I have read, seems to corroborate his story he told me as a kid.
    [as my grandfather would tell it with VERY thick Scotch accent]
    "The Hun had moved with a massive force to take the city of Mons. The BEF was there, with Great Granddads unit, and a massive battle ensued. There was a bridge where many men died trying to cross as a british Machinegunner held off most of them single handedly until he was killed. The French unit Broke, and retreated, exposing the British flank. The order was given to retreat. If the Hun had surround the BEF, it was over for them and the war was lost. Great Granddad's unit was charged with covering the BEF retreat. Everyman in the unit knew it was a death sentence, but they stood ground, dug in, and gave them hell for 3 days while the BEF was saved. After fighting for 3 days most of the unit destroyed, the horses and cason killed and smashed, a runner made it to the unit, and told them they were to pull back. Only a few men of his section were still alive. With all the horses dead or gone, The men grabbed their 4.5" howitzer and with hands and feet, dragged it through the knee deep mud towards friendly lines. By this time the Enemy had taken their positions that they just abandond, and started to direct rifle fire at the few men in retreat, in the hopeless mud. 2 men were killed along with the runner. Great Granddad and another man, returned rifle fire, using the 4.5" as makeshift cover. Artillery rounds started landing around them. They kept fighting. Finally, an artillery round had a direct hit on his 4.5" and smashed the cannon, and everything went black for Granddad. He awoke in a hospital. A tremendous case of shellshock and wounds put him out of the fight."
    I was told, That someone came to visit him in the hospital, and told him that his cannon was smashed from a direct hit, and when the BEF forces witnessed what had happened, They charged out into the mud with Bloodlust (granddad's exact word) and men retrieved parts of his cannon, and my Great Grandfather all while under fire from the enemy.
    I vaguely remember my Granddad telling me that the empty shell that was in his gun when it was hit, was given to him in his hospital bed, after it was cut down to a more manageable size for a souvenir and he proceeded to make this wonderful, physical account of his exploits.
    For THAT battle, and the covering action he, and his unit provided, he was awarded the Mons Star.

Another story from Grandad, Not sure of the battle
    "Great granddad's unit was moved up to the front line in preparation for a direct fire engagement in support of Infantry going "over the top" to assault the Enemy line (could this be the Marne?) and as the British soldiers readied themselves, the enemy "went over the top" and charged British positions through No mans land. They were caught completely unprepared, and the "cannon master" (what Granddad called him) was shot directly through the face and killed instantly. Great Granddad yelled to his section to "Fire at everything my gun fires at.." and he took charge of the section, and inflicted horrendous (im not using the words my granpa used ) casualties on the enemy, forcing retreat. Great Granddad took a rifle round and kept the fight going. When the enemy turned, The British Officers seen the deed, and Yelled something like " You see what they did for us lads?!? Lets FINISH IT!!" and they charged Over the top, and had a significant victory taking the enemy trench network. He was Promoted that day for that deed"

Living in such a shadow only inspires me to try harder in life. These stories have been engrained in my psyche since I was a child. My Grandfather told me a story when he was in school in Scotland, that he and some buddies jumped a fence, skipped school to watch the HMS Dreadnought sail from the ship yards.

Here are some pics of things brought home from the war. CONTRARY to this site's database, Greatgrandad did NOT die in WWI. He lived on, came to America, and started a life in New York city.

This is THE cannon shell that my Great Granddad made. The top says "Ypres 1915" and around the side it has a continuous banner with (in order under the RFA)...
    ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
    LILLE
    LOUVAIN
    RHEIMS
    MESSINES
    SOUCHEZ
    LOOS (with chevron mabye 2 battles there or decoration or wounded?)
    HOOGE
    NEUVE CHAPPELLE
    LA BASSEE
    AISNE
    MARNE
    MONS (with chevron again?)

Last edited by G.I.Dave; 29-07-2014 at 6:07 PM. Reason: spelling

G.I.Dave

This is a Christmas present that was given to him, Christmas 1914. It was full of cigarettes! must have been a nice gift then.

There is a book called "Yarrow's fighting contribution to the Great war" and inside its signed "Given to Jimmy Duncan Thanksgiving 1956 with love - T.W.Lovelock SR." to indeed prove he survived the war.

Inside the book is his picture. Such a nice smile...for all the stories ive heard of him being the toughest, meanest man on earth...

G.I.Dave

And here is his handwriting in '56 Proving these records incorrect.

ANY HELP with the history, Unti, pictures or ANYTHING will be eternally appreciated.

Good evening, David.
    I think that you have confused the British Genealogy Forum with the Forces War Records site. BritGen does not have any databases of people's records. We're here for queries, discussion and help with British genealogy.
    I've been through your unusually long message, but was unable to find a key piece of information for anyone who might try and help you - his service number. It's not an unusual name, so it would be essential in order to be sure the correct man had been pinpointed.

Incidentally, should you decide to take your research back to his beginnings, click HERE for Scottish genealogy guides.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 29-07-2014 at 8:29 PM. Reason: Wrong man!~

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI Lesley

You have confused yourself- T W Lovelock was his name!!
    Still, a service number would certainly help.
    As for his 14 star, read here - https://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html
    and a bit on MONS - https://www.1914-1918.net/bat1.htm

regards

Robert

How right you are.

Ancestry lists 2 medals cards for T.W. Lovelock, with different numbers and different brigades, and both with the 14 Star, so I think that there must really be 2 of them. Neither's in the CWGC.

G.I.Dave

Thanks for the replies,
    Mabye I am confused. I paid for a membership up with the war records site, and when I clicked forums, I came here. I read the sticky about war records sharing forums, but does war records not have their own forums? It was a link from that site. Confusing.

When I get in front of my pc I will read those links, simmo. Thank you.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi, just to clarify: FWR does not have it's own forums.
    It used to have but since a lot of questions either required further genealogical research outside of the military sphere or could be helped by such in some way, we scrapped the dedicated military only forums in favour of a redirect to BG which we also own.

It works very well indeed and has enabled the vast majority who use it fully to get a great deal further in their research.

The death/casualty records on FWR stem from 2 or 3 main datasets, whilst not infallible (what is?) it is highly unlikely that a casualty record in FWRs datasets is incorrect to this extent -a regimental number would be required to make sure the living and dead record is one & the same of course.

Upon checking FWR has 6 T Lovelocks (no TW Lovelock) in the records, 3 of which died, and none of which were in the RFA I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Dave View Post
    Mabye I am confused. I paid for a membership up with the war records site, and when I clicked forums, I came here. I read the sticky about war records sharing forums, but does war records not have their own forums? It was a link from that site. Confusing.
    It's always worth reading the "Sticky" threads at the top of each forum. In particular, have a read of this thread.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

G.I.Dave

Thank you for the reply.

I read that on the back of some of the medals I have, there may be a regimental number. Before I crack open this display that has been sealed since before I was born, do you know if that info i need would be there?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast