Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eli555

Thumbs up locating occupier of an address

Hi,
    Could somebody tell me how I can find the name of the owner/occupier of an address I have in 1910.
    Many thanks.

Hi
    On findmypast you can click on search then on Search all records from the drop down menu. Scroll down the next page until you see
    Census, land & survey records and click on census. On the next page on the RH side click on 1911.The next page has an option for entering the address. It appears that this last page is different for the 1901 and the 1911 censuses.
    It seems a long winded way of doing it and others may know a better way to achieve your mission.

Depending on where the person concerned lived there may also be electoral registers. Do you want to give details so we can take a look?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

If it's Scotland, the Valuation Rolls are your best option.
    The best way to help us to help you is to give us enough info!

eli555

Many thanks for the further offer of help, here goes.....
    My grandfather James Ley b1842 migrated from Berrynarbour, Devon to Swansea where he became a fruit & veg merchant
    with his brother George. However things turned bad & the busness went bankrupt. It would seem that James hit bad times & eventually ended up in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire. Going by Welsh newspapers online it would appear James got into trouble with the police....sorry its so long drawn out & ended up a vagrant. James died aged 66yrs in 1910 but on an orbituary notice it states that the funeral would be leaving from 11 Oaklands terr, Swansea. I have no idea as to whom the occupier of this address would be, although I assume it must be a family connection.
    I have not been able to find any record of James Ley in the 1901 census!! His wife elizabeth Ann (Slade) Ley b1851, died in 1898.
    I hope this makes sense to you.
    Regards.

Reputation beyond repute

James died aged 66yrs in 1910
    What's the death certificate say?

eli555

Hi,
    I dnt have the death cert' to check, I'm going on the obituary notice stating his name & eldest son Fred (Alfred) who was informant.
    Would he still be counted on a census record if he was in prison at that time of the 1901 census?

Have moved this from Navigating BG to FH Queries.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I do think it's a bit silly not having a copy of the death certificate. If you're lucky it might mention 11 Oaklands Terrace. Perhaps it's where he died, perhaps it's where the informant lived. In genealogy you can't turn your nose up at sources just because they might not give you the answer you want.

A fountain of knowledge

The Swansea 1908-09 Directory at the historical directories site: https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/ doesn't have an Oaklands Terrace, but there is an Oakfield Terrace, page 77, where H O Wilts is at No 11. There is a Fredk Ley at No 9.

pippycat

There is also this:

1901 Wales census: 5077 f5 p2
    9 Oaklands Terrace, Swansea

Alfred J Lay 1871 Fruit Merchant
    wife: Elizabeth 1867
    son: Sydney 1893
    dau: Dorothy 1895
    son: Harry 1899
    dau: Florris? 1901
    servant: Minnie Butt
    All born Swansea.