Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eli555 - I'm in the Archives tomorrow so will check the Electoral Registers to confirm.

Oaklands Terrace is off Constitution Hill - across from Woodlands Terrace. I used to live in Brooklands Terrace - next street up the hill. Even now I wake up in a sweat at the thought of pushing the pram up Constitution, and this was 50 years ago! [
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Checking Welsh newspapers on line, the 1910 funeral left from No 9 Oaklands Terrace (Cambrian 11 March 1910).

Devonmade

FMP:- Burial for James Ley, Swansea, St James, 9 March 1910. Abode, llanelly

Correction.

Rereading the Cambrian item 1910 " the mourners" left No 9, not "the funeral". Apologies

eli555

Thumbs up James Ley....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Sorry but I do think it's a bit silly not having a copy of the death certificate. If you're lucky it might mention 11 Oaklands Terrace. Perhaps it's where he died, perhaps it's where the informant lived. In genealogy you can't turn your nose up at sources just because they might not give you the answer you want.
    Yes, you are right for not having a copy of the death cert' but I was going on the information given in Welsh Newspapers Online stating that the funeral was leaving from Oaklands terrace, Swansea. It stated that the coffin would be met at the bottom of Constitution Hill (owing to the steep climb) before burial at Dan y Graig cemetery. I have since found out his son Alfred lived in Oakfields Terrace!! My mistake on the address, but confirms it was a family member.
    Thank you for your help, birth cert' is on order.

eli555

Hi,
    Oh thank you again, I too found the info' on Welsh newspapers but somehow cannot find it now!!
    I know what you mean about the climb, my brother lives in Terrace road, near the Mansion House side where my grandfather Hiram Morgan lived in 1905, so I can understand why the coffin of James was met at the bottom of the hill.
    Gosh, I wish I knew as much as you all on brit-geneaology, your help is priceless.

eli555

Thats ok, I knew what you meant as I believe it was from his son Alfred's (Fred) house. The times I have walked pass there, seems they all stayed relatively close in the Swansea area.

eli555

Thank you, it would appear the mourners left from his son's address as you mentioned, I was thrown because James' last known address was in Llanelli.

eli555

These are in my tree, I should have double checked as it shows their address......Im still learning but many thanks.

Just to confirm as promised -
    The Electoral Rolls, Borough of Swansea, Ffynone Ward, Walter Road Polling Station, Oaklands Terrace -
    1907/908 to 1910/1911 - at No 9 was Frederick Ley
    1911/1912 - at No 9 was Thomas, William George

This is pre "universal" suffrage - hence only one name listed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12