Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Engineers

Tractorgirl

Smile Royal Engineers

I don't understand why I can't find any record of my grandfather even though I know his army number in the Royal Engineers. I am new to this site so wondered if anyone could help me with ideas please?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Which war, WW2 records are not online anywhere?

regards

Robert

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Tractorgirl,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As Robert has said, WW2 records are not online as they are still held by the MoD.
    This sticky has details about obtaining records. Note the restrictions about applying/amount of information available if the serviceman has been deceased for less than twenty-five years.

Pam

Hi

If WW1 can you post his details please, so we can have a look?

regards

Robert

Reputation beyond repute

See the National Archives Research Guide in particular where it says -

"Many army service records between 1914 and 1920 do not exist as they were destroyed by enemy bombing in 1940 - only about 40% survive"

and

"Service records (1920-present)

Visit the GOV.UK website for information about how to request a summary of a service record from the Ministry of Defence. These are not available to members of the general public, but next of kin may request access to them"

Tractorgirl

No it's WW1 Robert

Hi

Ok , give us some details and we will see if we can find something.

regards

Robert

Tractorgirl

When I said I couldn't find any record of him I meant on the Forces War Records Site. A number of years ago I did find some of his military record and kept a copy ( some pages were burnt and it was all difficult to read and understand!) My Grandfather joined the RFA in September 2014 when he was 21. I know he spent a lot of time in France and when injured was sent to Eastbourne to recuperate. He was in 17th Division and referred to as Corp at times and at one time as acting Bombd. His army number is 20800 - Henry Thompson. I know he was a miner at one time and wonder if that is what he was involved in?! He seems to have been awarded the normal medals but also there is mention of a Clasp and Rose I don't know what that is. I have 2 photos of him in uniform but they are not that clear. I would just like to find out more about what he went through.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

First name(s)
    Henry

Last name
    Thompson

Service number

Regiment
    Royal Horse & Field Artillery

Unit / Battalion
    17th Divisional Ammunition Column

17th Divisional Ammunition Column, Royal Field Artillery served with 17th (Northern) Division. 17th (Northern) Division was formed in September 1914, as part of Kitchener's Second New Army. After initial training close to home, the Division moved to Dorset to continue training and then in late May 1915 moved to the Winchester area. The division had been selected for Home Defence duties, but this was reversed and they proceeded to France in July 1915 concentrating near St Omer. They moved into the Southern Ypres salient for trench familiarisation and then took over the the front lines in that area. In the spring of 1916 they were in action at the Bluff, south east of Ypres on the Comines canal then moved south to The Somme seeing action during The Battle of Albert in which the Division captured Fricourt and The Battle of Delville Wood. In 1917 they moved to Arras and saw action in The First and Second Battles of the Scarpe and The Capture of Roeux. In late summer they moved to Flanders and fought in The First and Second Battles of Passchendaele. In 1918 they were in action in The Battle of St Quentin, The Battle of Bapaume, The Battle of Amiens, The Battle of Albert, The Battle of Bapaume, The Battle of Havrincourt, The Battle of Epehy and The Battle of Cambrai followed by The pursuit to the Selle, The Battle of the Selle and The Battle of the Sambre. At the Armistice the Division was south east of Maubeuge and was quickly withdrawn to the area west of Le Cateau. On the 6th of December they moved back behind Amiens and went to billets around Hallencourt. Demobilisation of the Division began in January 1919.
    - See more at: https://www.wartimememoriesproject.co....ClXUyK61.dpuf

Reputation beyond repute

I know he was a miner at one time and wonder if that is what he was involved in?
    It looks as if he was recruited as a Driver. See the first "Posted" entry in the service record.

there is mention of a Clasp and Rose I don't know what that is
    It's explained on the National Archives medal index card search page (scroll down) -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-cards-ww1.htm

Despite the title of the thread, do you now agree he was in the Artillery not the Engineers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast