Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default records bigamist marriages

I have been researching for about three years, with some success. All though site I used did not tell me that they could not give me records for my father as he was fostered. Had to go through child services. Also having trouble finding bigamist records. If any one can direct me to where to find these record I thank you.
    Marriage took place 1922 in Stroud UK.
    Many thanks

Kerrie

Knowledgeable and helpful

Not quite sure what records you are looking for when you say you are “having trouble finding bigamist records.” I don’t think the UK has ever had a formal system for verifying whether a person has been married before and so most bigamists probably got clean away with it, without ever being detected. I think that where it was detected (usually because someone informed the authorities) it could lead to an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries against the bigamous marriage. But as I say that would only happen if the authorities became aware. I suspect that the majority of bigamists moved to another part of the country or overseas, and were probably never detected.
    ELWYN

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that if you know the parties names and approx dates, then I would search newspapers to see if there was any report of a prosecution.

I understand that bigamy in the early 20th century was pretty common because it was so difficult and expensive to get a divorce.

Reputation beyond repute

Marriage took place 1922 in Stroud UK.
    Apply to GRO for a certificate. It doesn't make any difference if it was bigamous.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could be considered newsworthy in the locality

As this has turned into a research thread I have moved it from Introduce Yourself to FH Queries
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pippycat

Kerrie

I don't know if this is of interest to you, an article in Gloucester Journal dated 27 Jan 1923 about a bigamy charge at Stroud.

Even though its broadcast in a newspaper, I'm unsure if I can state the full names on here..to be on safe side I'll stick with initials only!
    If you recognise the names you'll know exactly who these people are.

1. Du MS Thomas + L Pendrey 1915
    2. S Thomas + EM Probert 1917
    3. SE Carson + DG Hobbs 1922

Thomas and Carson is the same person - he wed 3 times.

Rebecca

Default bigimistb

Rebecca

You darling I am sure you will know just how Ifeel right now, your information is exactly what I have needed to move forward. Yes they are the people I am looking fot DG Hobbs was my grandmother. I am not sure how, much chat is allowed

on this site If you like can contact me on kyle DOT mollie AT xtra DOT co DOT nz
    May Iask how did you know where to look I have been looking at newdpapers but never knew how to find the various names
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 26-07-2014 at 4:30 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

pippycat

Kerrie

Lucky! this particular one came up on a simple name search on FindMyPast!

I shall send you a private message via this forum with birth records for the 2 Thomas children (1st wife)....they are listed on Freebmd so you may already have them.

If your unsure about pm's Kerrie, just click on the 'notifications' tab at top of this page.

Rebecca

If the people are still alive you can't mention their names, otherwise there is no reason why you can't say who they are. There may be other members who don't know why they can't find information about an ancestor because they don't know these details.

( I am also burning with curiosity about your bigamist simply because we have one in our tree too. I love the black sheep. They are long gone and the only difference is that now we know something that we didn't know before)
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast