Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

And a bit more about the Canopic. TNA have some records for the ship in the time span 1921-1930.
    discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C10690132

Don't know how many pages the record consists of, nor the sort of details it may contain.

Pam

Bellacasa

Thank you thewideeyedowl - it's an interesting website- and I shall certainly print off a map .Part of my problem is I donlt know the ship he was on, but I will keep digging. Thanks again.

Bellacasa

Thank you Pam that is really a find- I was under the impression that she was scrapped in1925 and that may he been the reason that Arthur Thomas Bellhouse was discharged. Will have look and report back.

Bellacasa

Yes Pam he would have been that young - In 1912 his mother died and he was sent to live with his father's relatives in Yorkshire ( presumably Father Arthur Bellhouse was at sea) when he died in 1918 young Arthur would have been eleven and left in the care of his aunts, Arthur's sisters. People were sent to work much earlier-my own parents at fourteen and fifteen so I guess he was considered quite old enough. Perhaps he wanted to escape the aunts. Now to have a look through the records you mention.Thanks.

Bellacasa

Hi Pam , that puzzled me too, but I thought they might just have been slow in processing paperwork.

Bellacasa

I am not sure where to search- did you mean British Genealogy site? I just went to Mariners and Ship's topic and didn't find anything - or should I have been in Forces war records? as I said I am a 'newbie'

Quote Originally Posted by Bellacasa View Post
    I am not sure where to search- did you mean British Genealogy site? I just went to Mariners and Ship's topic and didn't find anything - or should I have been in Forces war records? as I said I am a 'newbie'
    Which post and by whom are you referring to?

Pam

Bellacasa

Sorry I wasn't clear - it was your post as follows'

'I've found a reference (with a ship's number) for Canopic in 1920. The registry for that ship was closed in 1927. There was another ship of the same name built in 1954. (There may have been other, but they're the only two I found.)
    Reference for 1920. To see what all the columns mean, in the top banner where it says 'page 89' alter the number to 1.
    crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages.php?regtype=MNL&year=1920&name=CANOPIC& page=89&imagesource=CLIP%C2%A0images'

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to help. Bellacasa

Direct links to commercial sites are not allowed on Brit-Gen, so when in doubt I always omit the www. or https:// bits. Which means that you have to copy-and-paste the remaining bit of the URL. i.e.

crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages.php?regtype=MNL&year=1920&name=CANOPIC& page=89&imagesource=CLIP%C2%A0images

and

crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php

I must admit that the first link didn't really stand out in my original post - I'll go back and amend it.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The one with SS Canopic written on it is definitely stamped 1925. Yet the other side of the card seems to have a 1935 date on it.

Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge of those records could interpret them better than me.

Pam
    The card is stamped NR 1935 - This means the seaman was not active for 5 years prior to that date - effectively left the Merchant Service.

17 is not unreasonably young for service in the MN. I was involved in the research of the youngest service casualty of WW2 - he was a Merchant Seaman aged just 14.

For his WW2 service in the RN you will need to obtain his service record from the Ministry of Defence.

Regards
    Hugh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12