Aelfrieda

Question unable to find my father's war record.

My father, Albert Edward Dent, joined the army in 1919 or 1920, not long after the first world war ended. He was 17. He continued in the army (The Rifle Brigade) serving in Ireland and India, and ending his career as the second world war ended, as Regimental Sargeant Major, at the Peninsula Barracks in Winchester. I have a silver cigarette box, presented to him by the recruits of the 16th London batt., dated 1936-1937. Cant make head or tale of why it was presented to him. There should be some interesting sttuff, I know he also worked at the war office in London for a time during the war. I can find no trace of my father, his name is nowhere to be found. I am new to this site, would anyone be kind enough to help me out please?I would be very grateful. Angela Dent.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Angela,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Your father's records are still held by the MoD. See this sticky for details of how to apply for them.

There is a slight chance that records of his service for 1919 and 1920 may be held at Kew. Scroll to the British Army details on this page. https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/tutorials

Pam