Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

I do not think Maria was married I was just looking following one of the earlier posts to see if the family was 'connected'

Maybe Captain Thompson was a 'suitor'

Yes I got my Thomas's & Mozart muddled I was just trying to put there family in perspective fololowing the previous information, yes there were 12 children of which 7 had considerable musical ability, I think it was Elizabeth that I noted sang for the King

Jx

Zantarel

Elizabeth sang for the king, and they were invited to buckingham palace (I think - or one of the royal houses) to play a 4 hour private concert for the royal family - pretty intense stuff!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well you cannot get much higher than that...oh dear I am stuck with Ag labs some of whom appeared in court for petty stealing!!! The other end of the spectrum!

thewideeyedowl

Default RNEC, Manadon

Good evening to you both...

Zantarel, I have just found this: https://rnecmanadon.com/about/thunderer.php. I think it might be the sort of thing you are looking for. The Royal Naval Engineering College is at Manadon, Plymouth.

Otherwise, archives will be at TNA, which is likely to involve considerable expense unless you live near Kew. A quick check on Discovery for (Captain Walsingham AND Thunderer) brought up about four hits.

I am also curious to know the exact nature of your project - is this perhaps for a PhD?

Off to roost.

Owl

Zantarel

Hi Owl - Apologies I thought I had replied to this. Just cleaning up my inbox and have noticed that I didn't!

It is indeed for a PhD. It's focusing mainly on Thomas Linley junior, but I am doing a chapter on the family, so Samuel Linley needs to be discussed. I have found that Sam joined the Thunderer on 12th March 1778. He was 'discharged dead' on 21st December - he was ill with fever whilst on shore leave and never returned to the ship (though he intended to).
    There is no mention of him in the Captain logs which confirms that he can't have died on board otherwise there would have been a record of it - therefore I think it likely that in this instance Parke has remembered it all correctly in his memoirs.

On the newspaper side of things he doesn't have a notice himself, but he is mentioned in his siblings notices (when Elizabeth and Mary dies etc). All in all they are a very interesting family!

It might be of interest to read David Donachie's novel about Emma Hamilton - because Samuel and Emma had a relationship whilst Emma was a maid in the Linley household. It touchingly tells how Emma fell in love with him the first time she saw him in his Navy uniform and when he fell ill she nursed him until she died. The details: David Donachie, On a Making Tide (London: Orion, 2000), 123–128. - there is a partial preview available on googlebooks: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...20tide&f=false

Thanks for all your help - and everyone's - I'm not sure I would have found all this information without you guys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123