Default Cope family of Tetbury

For the past few years I have been researching my family history from here in Canada/US back to the UK. My great great grandfather William Clark was married to Eliza Cope from Tetbury. They were married in London in 1839. Eliza's parents' names were William Cope and Martha (maiden name Watts). I did locate an image of an old will, William Cope was a horse dealer in Tetbury. I am trying to reconstruct that branch of our family and any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This is all I could come up with Brett, no guarantee they are all connected.

Name: William Cope married Grace Tuck
    19 Apr 1763: Tetbury,Gloucester,England
    FHL Film Number: 856949

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    William Cope
    christening:4 July 1774 TETBURY,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
    father: William Cope

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    Eliza Cope
    christening: 28 March 1806 TETBURY,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
    father: William Cope, mother: Martha
    Pallots marriages
    William Cope + Martha Watts 1802 Tstbury ?? 10 (sic)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

janbooth

From Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index:

30 October 1802 at Tetbury William COPE and Martha WATTS by banns

No baptisms on the Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-1837 for children of William & Martha, so presumably they moved on from Tetbury some time between 1806 when Eliza was baptised and 1813 when the Baptismal Index starts.

From Ancestry's Select Births and Christenings:

8 January 1811 at Tetbury Walter son of William & Martha COPE baptised

There is also a birth/baptism at Tetbury on 7 December 1807/23 August 1808 of a William COPE son of William & Esther. I don't know whether this could be a mis-transcription of the mother's name by Ancestry, but it would fit nicely into the gap between Eliza and Walter.

Marriage (via Ancestry's London Parish Registers) at St Mary Lambeth on 24 August 1841 of Walter COPE, full age, bachelor, Shoe Maker, Francis Street, father William COPE (deceased), Horse Dealer, & Mary GANDEY, full age, spinster, Francis Street, father John GANDEY (deceased), Shoe Maker. Witnesses: Martha GANDEY & J. S. GAWLER. All parties signed.

Janet

janbooth

A bit more information on Martha from Ancestry's Select Births & Christenings:

25 March 1773 at Tetbury Martha WATTS daughter of Robert baptised

There is a Will for a Robert WATTS of Tetbury, Roper & Sack Maker dated 11 November 1772, in which he mentions wife Eleanor and children Thomas, Ann, Elizabeth, Mary, Jane, Sarah, Hannah and Eleanor, with the addition of children's names of Martha & Hester inserted by Robert WATTS on 21 August 1775, and proved at Gloucester on 8 December 1781. Administration was granted to Eleanor WATTS, widow.

Also on Ancestry is the Will of William COPE of Tetbury, Innholder, dated 7 February 1793 and proved at Gloucester on 13 July 1793 wherein he mentions his children William (eldest son), George, Edward, Walter & Jane by his wife Alice, whom he appoints as Executrix, his brother in law Stephen JONES & Thomas WHITE, Gent, both of Tetbury to be Trustees.

Ancestry's Select Births & Christenings shows the baptism at Tetbury on 4 July 1774 of William son of William COPE. Siblings are:

George 1 October 1776
    James 5 April 1778
    Jenny 30 July 1781
    Edward 30 December 1782
    Walter 11 October 1785

Two marriages from Phillimore's Marriage Index of Tetbury:

8 April 1773 Mr William COPE, Innholder, w, & Mrs (Mistress) Alice JONES, spinster, by licence
    19 April 1763 William COPE, parish of Chippenham, Wilts, Victualler, & Grace TUCK, w, this parish, by licence

And

7 September 1749 Mr John TUCK & Mrs Grace SMITH

Hope this helps further

Janet

A big thank you to waitabit and Janet!

A few items in your posts were already in my pile of data, but quite a bit of new stuff too!! There is a fairly new discovery of mine from a while back regarding the Copes that I was not sure of, whether they fit. However after reading your posts I feel that it does. I was searching through church links in Tetbury and found one for St. Mary's that had cemetery records. There was a monument with the Cope and extended family and they provided the following transcription from the headstone:

GPS location: 51.63562 N, 2.16003W

Monument is a gravestone and is in zone F at location 062 in St Marys' churchyard (see St Marys' Church and churchyard map for zone and location details)
    Notes and monument inscription:

WILLIAM SMITH
    dyed July 2D, 17(4)9
    ?T 41
    JOHN TUCK
    dyed Dec. 31, 1762
    ?T 39
    GRACE his Relict and
    wife WILLIAM COP(E)
    dyed Jan. 8th, 177(2) ?t (42)
    JAN(E) daughter of WILLIAM
    and ALICE COP(E) died
    Nov. 28th 178_ ?T 7 months
    JAMES their son died
    JAN (5) 1797 ?T 8YEARS
    WILLIAM COPE died
    (FE)b. 26th 179(3) ?T (5)7 years
    WILLIAM their son died
    FEB 8th 1812 ?T (3)8 YEARS

Interesting find on Jenny, it appears she only lived a few months after being born according to this:

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 about Jenny Cope
    Name: Jenny Cope
    Baptism Date: 30 Jul 1781
    Baptism Place: Tetbury,Gloucester,England
    Death Date: 2 Dec 1781
    Father: Wm Cope
    Mother: Alice
    FHL Film Number: 427788, 856949

The new info regarding Walter ending up in London comes as a surprise, but I am certain it is the "correct" Walter!! Also, looking at Janet's last post regarding William Cope being married to a Grace Tuck and Alice (Jones) when compared to the headstone transcription seems to fit!!!! Thanks so much for the help so far, both of you have chunked out a couple holes in the brick wall for me!!!

janbooth

Brilliant, as the information found seems to corroborate the information on the gravestone. Good luck with demolishing any more brick walls you may have.

Out of interest the PCC Will of John TUCK of Tetbury, Innholder, is on Ancestry dated 27 August 1762 and proved at London on 24 January 1763, wherein he mentions wife Grace TUCK, Harry TUCK son of brother Harry TUCK of London, Vintner, amongst others. Also the Will of William SMITH of Tetbury, Innholder, dated 28 April 1748 and proved at Gloucester on 8 August 1749, wherein he leaves everything to his good friends Robert FENNER of Sherncutt?, Wilts, Gentleman, and Richard HOULDBY of Tetbury, Collarmaker, in trust for his wife Grace SMITH. So was the Grace SMITH who married John TUCK the widow of William??

Janet

My feeling is yes, Grace SMITH was married previously to William, crunching the evidence seems to support that.

I just realized that, upon reading the headstone transcription again, "JANE", daughter of William and Alice COPE and "JENNY" must be one and the same girl. I think that the "NOV. 28" death date on the headstone compared with the death date of "DEC. 2" is not a discrepancy, I think that the actualy death was on the 28th (headstone), and DEC. 2 (from the index info) was when she was buried, thinking that it would have been written/registered in the church records on the day of the burial. It would make sense, wouldn't it?

janbooth

Yes, and that is the trouble with a lot of so called "death records" on any website such as Ancestry or FMP in that they are nearly always burial records although they are recorded as death dates.

Janet