Default BENJAMIN HART- EMMA MARJORAM

This new thread links to an earlier thread John Hart- Elizabeth Jacobs and relates to Benjamin Hart 1836-1915 son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs. Benjamin appears in British Census records from 1851-1911 and in the early census records his occupation was a tailor like his father. By the 1871 Census RG10 1542 17- 3 Emily St Paddington ( Crown Copyright,TNA) he is recorded as Benjamin Hart U 35 Agent b Strand; Emma MARGORAM sister u 28 Housekeeper b Marylebone. The census recorder has added ditto under Hart for Emma so that the record appears to read Emma Margoram Hart. This data is incorrect because Benjamin was later to marry Emma - GRO Marriage Index Sept qtr 1889 Pancra 1b 245. Emma maybe the daughter of John and Charlotte Marjoram and a copy of the marriage certificate would be needed to confirm the data.
    In the 1881 Census RG11 1316 46 -47 Richmond St Paddington ( Crown Copyright,TNA) Benjamin Hart H M 44 Collector b Middx ; Emma Hart wife 48 b Middx + 1 servant + 3 lodgers. The servant is named as Maria Hart u 68 but I have no record of her being related to my Hart lines.
    1891 Census RG12 123 99 7 -2 Mecklenburgh St Pancras ( Crown Copyright,TNA)- Benjamin Hart H M 56 Lodging House Keeper b Middx ; Emma Hart wife 4? b Middx +1 servant+1 visitor+3 lodgers.

Benjamin appears as a witness in the Old Bailey trial of Henry John Edward Lewis and two others 23 May 1893. This trial relates to Edward Lawrence Levy aka Edward Lewis son of Lawrence Levy and Rebecca Jacobs. Rebecca was the sister of Elizabeth Jacob's Benjamin's mother- see the thread on Edward Lawrence Levy and the Lewis lines.
    In the trial Benjamin said.." I live in 2 Mecklenburgh St ten years... I am Lewis's second cousin... I am a picture and general dealer".
    I can't locate Benjamin or Emma in the 1901 Census but he appears in the 1911 Census RG14 331 -526 Fulham Road ( Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Benjamin Hart married 22 years no children British subject 76 no occupation b Strand; Hart ( Benjamin did not fill in his wife's first name on the record) 68 British Subject (no data on where she was born) - Living in 1 room.
    This is likely to be the GRO Death Index Record for Benjamin- Benjamin Hart March qtr 1915 age 82 Fulham 1a 584. I have not traced Emma post 1911.

Phillip

Default BENJAMIN HART- EMMA MARJORAM MARRIAGE

The following GRO Marriage Certificate for Benjamin Hart and Emma Marjoram confirms that Benjamin Hart was the son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs ( see thread John Hart- Elizabeth Jacobs which provides a very brief overview of their children and marriages).
    Marriage Soleminized at the Register Offices Pancras County of London
    9 August 1889
    BENJAMIN HART about 53 Bachelor -Picture Dealer -2 Mecklenburgh Street- Father- JOHN HART Deceased - Army Contractor

EMMA MARJORUM 46 Spinster no occupation - 2 Mecklenburgh Street- Father- JOHN JAMES MARJORAM Deceased Builder
    Witnesses
    Henry GALLOWAY
    C.D. BARTLEY

There is a note on the certificate which corrected on the 15 August 1889 by the Registrar the spelling of the surname Marjorum to Marjoram in the presence of Benjamin Hart and Emma Hart the parties married.

Benjamin was the only child of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs to have married outside of the Jewish faith. His father John Hart had been a clothes salesman and later a tailor and military tailor at 66 Quadrant Regent Street before his death 2.8.1865 age 69 at 52 Burlington Gardens , Bayswater- see Cemetery Scribes site for the photograph of his tombstone.
    Phillip