Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know?

Sycamores

Question Anyone know?

Hi
    My daughter and I have the family history bug. We keep hitting a brick wall though. We get so far online and then find we need to visit different places round the country to find out more. Does anyone know of a service that matches people like us geographically? Where we could research in our areas (Swindon and Bristol) for information and we could ask people to search in their areas for us? (The genealogist services are too expensive for us)
    Thanks for reading

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Welcome to British-Genealogy!

The best approach is to just post a specific question in the appropriate section and you'll be surprised what resources some people have at their fingertips. Some people are incredibly knowledgeable about where to find stuff on-line. A volunteer may also emerge to dig around in a record office for you.

Something else you might consider. I use the Society of Genealogists' library. This has the country's largest collection of genealogical resources. It would be easy for a day trip (I don't think your journey would be any longer than mine) and you can get some remarkably cheap ticket prices by booking in advance. Enter "Society of Genealogists" in a search engine and have a browse.

Sycamores

Default Certificates

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, it is really appreciated.
    I will follow up your ideas.

Best wishes,
    Helen

Sycamores

Thank you so much for your speedy welcome. I'm new to Forums and it's a bit daunting.

Have you considered joining the family history society that is local to the area you are researching? I highly recommend doing this because these societies have a wealth of local knowledge in their membership and they have probably been the ones that transcribed the parish records used on Find My Past. I also recommend that you join the society local to where you live as they have regular meetings where sources and resources and research aids will be discussed. Some societies hold regular classes to help people get started - and there is always something new to learn.
    Take a look at the Federation of Family History Societies, https://www.ffhs.org.uk/
    there you will find a list of most of the societies in the UK and the rest of the world
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Sycamores

Great ideas, thank you. I hadn't thought about joining the local group as I'm not researching family here, but what you say makes sense

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Whilst I do not research in the area in which I live I am a member of the local FHS like this site, it is ideas & thoughts that are 'pooled'

Most FHS have a web site with a forum... this is one of the better ways to link up with fellow family researchers and meeting cousins you did not know existed....

Why not try BG posting your query and see what result you get....

Reputation beyond repute

Local family history societies are very variable. I'd dip your toe in the water first to gauge what you think of them before handing over any money.

Try your local library service for 'how-to-do-it' books. The Dewey Decimal reference for genealogy is 929.1.

thewideeyedowl

Default Lost Cousins

Hi and welcome, Sycamores...

I completely agree with all the suggestions already made. (And if any of your lines has even the flimsiest connection with the Isle of Wight, then do take a look at IWFHS website, which has lots of searchable databases online, and consider joining.)

But here is a different idea - try Lost Cousins. There is a long discussion thread about it: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ins#post575266, so no need to repeat it all here.

After a bit of havering, I joined because the 16th through to 20th names I entered produced 'lost cousins'. We made tentative contact, via email, and have since exchanged 19th century photographs (me) and a will, with the promise of a second, (from cousin). So it has been very productive.

You never know, you might get some leads. Plus, the newsletter is quite brilliant.

Owl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast