Swaring

Default 200 The Barony workhouse Cheshire

I am trying to find out who wm M.Mathias was he was the informant on my grandfathers birth in 1920 says he wS the occupier at 200 the barony Nantwich . My grandfather Horace waring born February 8th 1920 Nantwich Cheshire was born out of wedlock to May waring a servant at 20 love lane Nantwich grasping at straws to try find out who his father was can any one give me any info on the informant to his birth

This site seems to indicate that The Barony was the Nantwich workhouse so most likely Wm M Mathias was a staff member there.

You can contact The Cheshire Archives and Local Studies Centre Here. Click on 'How We can Help' in the bar at the top of the page.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

1911 William Morgan MATHIAS aged 40 b Narberth Pembrokeshire Master of the Workhoouse Z00 Nantwich

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Nantwich/

Became the Barony Hospital

You may get lucky if you can find his baptism entry, sometimes the Officiating minister would make an entry about a spurious father!!

Records as #2

Do you know where May WARING originated?

Swaring

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Swaring View Post
    I am trying to find out who wm M.Mathias was he was the informant on my grandfathers birth in 1920 says he wS the occupier at 200 the barony Nantwich . My grandfather Horace waring born February 8th 1920 Nantwich Cheshire was born out of wedlock to May waring a servant at 20 love lane Nantwich grasping at straws to try find out who his father was can any one give me any info on the informant to his birth
    thank youvi have looked at the staff records but cant find him

Swaring

May waring was born in cheshire 1may not sure what yr abd died marxh17 1977 to henry waring and mary parker she was one of five children

There is a baptism for May WARING d/o Henry & Mary WARING born 1 Aug 1900 bp 30 Dec 1900 Wybunbury father was a Groom the address given is Wybunbury

1901 census
    RG13 3362 9 10
    6 Claytons Row Nantwich

WARING Harry 20 Groom Ridley Cheshire
    WARING Mary 28 Newtbridge Cheshire
    Mat 11m Buerton Cheshire

1911 has the family living in Willaston Wirrall

Poll Bar Cottage

WARING Henry 31Coachman & Gardener Bunbury Cheshire
    WARING Mary 30 Burley Dam Audlem
    WARING May 11Norton in Hales
    WARING Gladys 9 Nantwich
    WARING Ethel 7 Aintree parish of Walton
    WARING Reginald Parker 5 Woodchurch B'head
    WARING Mary 11m Chester

Reputation beyond repute

thank youvi have looked at the staff records but cant find him
    Don't know what staff records you mean but good places to find names of officials are county directories. For example, Kelly's Directory of Cheshire, 1914 lists William M Mathias as Master and also Mrs Lucy Mathias as Matron (a typical arrangement).

You can also see that the Clerk to the Guardians, Robert George Atkinson, was also Superintendent Registrar and the Relieving Officers were generally also Registrars of births, deaths and marriage. Again, this was the usual arrangement. It explains why it was that births and deaths in the workhouse usually got properly recorded in the civil registration registers.