defcrow

Default Peninsular War The Royal Waggon Train

Hi

I visited the National Archives earlier in the week, to research a Great Grandfather who was part of The Royal Waggon Train during the Peninsular War, but I'm having trouble understanding a couple of the documents. I wonder if anybody can help?

The first one is for a detachment of The Royal Waggon Train, stationed abroad in Portugal, in St Martinho I think. I'm having trouble reading the fifth line down stating that he was elsewhere on the 1st,2nd & 3rd musters, at Bel something, and the next two lines across that say do.

The final one may be a bit easier March-June 2013 stationed in Portugal, it is for no 241 Thomas Green, what do the same three columns say?

i know he got clasps for Vitoria, Pyrenees, and Toulouse, and suffered a fractured leg in the Peninsular on the 13th August 1813.

Thanks

James

Hi James
    could the first one be Beleser? There is a Beleser in Spain but don't know how this fits in to your blokes service record. The 'do' original entry does appear to be an abbreviated word (comparing it with the word above - something like Cu Com and ending in d.
    The second image seems to have been scanned at an angle which makes it difficult to read. But again the words seem to be abbreviated - Gt Hosp with a small t up and to the right. (these appear on the first scan also)

Someone with better and younger eyes than me will be along I'm sure.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

on the first one it really does look like Beleser and the 'do' column looks like On Com d the 'd' being a little one up to the right of the first bit signifying an abbreviated word.
    The second image defeated me sorry, I couldn't even read a single name.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Reputation beyond repute

at Bel
    At Belem perhaps. Belem is a district in Lisbon.

The second image is only 400 x 239 px. The attachment system isn't really suitable for documents that we might want to enlarge. Much better to put it on a website at full resolution and link to it. The website could be a photo sharing site or Google Drive or anything like that,

defcrow

Hi

Thanks for the replies, below is a closer look at the second image I posted, fifth line down, I think the last two columns state that he was in hospital.

Thanks

markmccormack

My understanding is that the Commissariat Command supplied wagons to bring goods to the troops fighting in a particular battle (or moving between battles). Being "On Command" meant that if the division you were assigned to needed something, you hauled it for them. I cannot read it very well, but it appears that, after being at the Garrison or General or [G-city] Hospital, your man was assigned (On Command) to:

With 13th Hussars (for example - cannot read), On Command, At Belasar.

defcrow

Thanks for the replies

defcrow

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    At Belem perhaps. Belem is a district in Lisbon.

The second image is only 400 x 239 px. The attachment system isn't really suitable for documents that we might want to enlarge. Much better to put it on a website at full resolution and link to it. The website could be a photo sharing site or Google Drive or anything like that,
    I've just looked at some other images, and looked on the internet. It looks like it's definitely Belem, as there was a garrison/dept there. Thanks