Thread: Part Kunner????

DorothySandra

Default Part Kunner????

a candidate as my elusive ancestor Robert Cruickshank is described in the 1841 census as a part kunner. Ha anyone any idea what this is?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's always easier for us to look at the actual census page before we start making wild guesses. This is because what you clearly see as 'part kunner' someone else will see as game keeper or shop assistant.

Can you give us the census ref, or at least tell us Robert's age on the census and where he was living.

Pam
    who vividly remembers transcribing a name and then when she was checking her work thought 'huh? that says Louisa not James'

It's also useful to know where he was living, and what the neighbours were doing - people with the same employer (eg mining, farms) often lived in the same area.

I think this may be the 1841 Scotland census and it is ancestry's transcription that gives this occupation. You need to pay a small sum to the pay per view site Scotlandspeople to view the original image to see what is actually written down.

Muir Of Rhynie, Rhynie and Essie Aberdeenshire
    Isabel Calder 30 female servant
    Margaret Anderson 14 female servant
    Mathew Deoron 25 excise officer.
    Robert Cruickshank 43 Occupation - Part Kunner born Scotland
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

Robert Cruickshank 43 Occupation - Part Kunner born Scotland
    FMP have transcribed it as Post Runner

You still need to see the original image to confirm the details.

Post Runner definitely sounds more like it Peter but not as exotic!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

DorothySandra

Thank you everyone, sorry I didn't put in all the details, which christanel has correctly found. I'll have a look on Scotlands people and/or the Aberdeen & North East Scotland FHS, for the original.

This may or may not be my 3xGGrandfather, who is my most elusive ancestor yet. I have found him in Kings College 1824 (graduating) and in 1839 (Librarian) marrying Helen Donald in 1842 and buried in 1844 ("schoolmaster of Dyce") but where he was in 1841 is a mystery, as is where he was born and who his parents were.

There's a brief description of the school, written in 1840, HERE

However, I'm confused. At the start of this thread, you say he's a post runner in 1841, but in post 7 you say you don't know where he was in 1841. I think that a jump from post runner to schoolmaster in only 3 years is unlikely. They were very strict about who got to teach in parish schools - they had to be well qualified, and were generally interviewed by the parochial council and often the local landowner as well.
    Where was he librarian? And which King's College?

DorothySandra

I agree it seems unlikely. I'm investigating every Robert Cruickshank I can find in Aberdeenshire in 1841. He was the librarian of Kings college until 1839. Thank you for the information about the school.

DorothySandra

Further reply to Lesley Robertson:

Kings College, Aberdeen. If he ever left Aberdeen, I'll never find him! When I say that I found "him" I mean my ancestor Robert - not necessarily the one in the census.

Thank you again for the link to Statistics of Scotland: I looked up another school, as well.