Thread: Robert Mills

Georgenina

Smile Robert Mills

ROBERT MILLS (DOB 8th August, 1884) was my grandfather; we understand that he fought with, what my mother called "the cavalry" in the Boer War. I have found a record for R MILLS. His service number listd as 4127 and recorded as a Private in the Dragoons. Without being able to input his birthdate to the search, how can I be certain that this is my grandfather? Legend has it that he was 17 when he "ran away" to fight. It is the most likely entry from the searches I've done, but it would be good to know that it is actually his record. Any suggestions from you more experienced researchers? Family history I can do, but this I am finding tricky! thank you

CanCan

Hi,

If that is the correct man and service number than he was in 5th dragoon guards.

4127 Private Mills R 5th Dragoon Guards

Hope that helps

Reputation beyond repute

Just glancing at various lists I can see dozens of men called Robert Mills or R Mills who fought in the Boer Wars and were in a cavalry regiment.

By the way R Mills 4127 seems to have had some connection with the South African Railways. This wouldn't be your man, would it?

Georgenina

thanks for that. I just need to link the birthdate, then I will know for sure if it is him.

Georgenina

Hi. I'm sure my mum would have mentioned railway connection - my one remaining auntie doesnt recall any talk of that, so perhaps this is the wrong one. I know some sites have more details of address, next of kin, birth etc., so back to the drawing board! thanks for the info.

CanCan

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Just glancing at various lists I can see dozens of men called Robert Mills or R Mills who fought in the Boer Wars and were in a cavalry regiment.

By the way R Mills 4127 seems to have had some connection with the South African Railways. This wouldn't be your man, would it?

I found this ..... Mills R 4127 Private QSA (2). A Reservist. To Imperial Military Railway.
    Source: QSA medal rolls 5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Dragoon Guards

Georgenina

thank you!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Robert Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Georgenina View Post
    Hi. I'm sure my mum would have mentioned railway connection - my one remaining auntie doesnt recall any talk of that, so perhaps this is the wrong one. I know some sites have more details of address, next of kin, birth etc., so back to the drawing board! thanks for the info.
    Hi this Robert was my great grandfathers brother.He moved from England to South Africa where he did work with the Railroad. The names of his siblings were as follows
    Eleanor Jackson Mills
    Robert Mills
    Thomas Iredale Mills
    Henry Mills (My Great grandfather)
    Jane Grey Mills
    Mary Mills
    Alice Mills
    John William Mills

Hope this helps

Welcome to the British Genealohy Forum. I’m afraid that you have joined an archived old thread and the OP is no longer a member (that’s why he’s tagged “guest”). Don’t give up, someone else may be able to help!