Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    p.mca

Talking Which Elizabeth Retallick?

I am trying to pin down 'my' Elizabeth Retallick.
    Concrete info; Marriage cert 1867 Elizabeth Retallick marries Woodman Pascoe, parish of Roche. Both of full age. Her father James Retallick, labourer. Witnesses John Truscott and Samuel Purtis.
    In census returns following marriage she gives consistent info of birthplace Luxulyan, Cornwall, and ages that would have her born around 1844.
    On ancestry there are a couple of families she has been attached to, but neither are correct as far as I can see. One has Eliz Retallick b 1844 in St Keverne (along with the rest of the family) father John, and this is far from Luxulyan. The other has Eliz Mary Retallick, father James Hutchings Retallick from Lanivet, mother Sarah Sobye. The catch here is they were married in 1849, and if 'my' Eliz is their oldest child pre-wedlock (when mother was 15), she would have been alive when they named their next child Elizabeth Sobye Retallick in 1850. This all seems unlikely and does not fit census records for this family.
    I cannot find a likely birth record, or anything in the 1851 or 61 census records that seems likely to be her. She was about 5 or 6 in 1851 so I would expect her to be with parents, though could of course be with other family, friends etc.
    Help!
    Any ideas appreciated.

Hi
    just sorting out some births On FreeBMD 1840 - 1848 there are only two birth reg both for an Elizabeth Ann Rettilick
    1842 St Austell and 1846Bodmin. Both reg districts include Luxulyan according to FreeBMD.
    Then there is this which seems to match up with the Dec 1846 birth
    Elizabeth Ann Retallick
    Born 17 Nov 1846
    Baptised 29 Dec 1846
    At Bodmin,Cornwall,England
    Mother - Elizabeth Retallick
    FHL Film Number - 0236545, 0236548

And this, with a variant spelling in the transcript

Elizabeth Ann Retallack
    Baptised 24 Nov 1842
    At Bodmin, Cornwall, England
    Father - John Retallack
    Mother - Charlotte Retallack
    FHL Film Number - 1596469

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

In 1861 there is an Eliza Retallick age 18 born Roach/Roche, in the household of James Benneto as a servant. There is also a Cathrine Retillick age 21. RG 9/144/49/10.
    I can't see the birth of an Eliza Retillick on FreeBMD but I haven't tried all the permutations of spelling.

Christina
    William Burroughs

p.mca

Thank you, I think the middle one is certainly the best prospect. Retallick and Retallack seem interchangeable. I am taking the James as father on her marriage certificate as a reason to exclude the bottom one with father John. It would be nice if I could find her in the 1851 census!

p.mca

Had seen this and it is a possibility, though I seem to recall drawing a blank finding a family in 1851 with Catherine and Elizabeth at ages when they should have been at home with father James and mother ?

I think Catherine, born Roche is with her parents John and Charlotte in 1841 HO 107/145 book 9 folio 65 page 20.

Have you followed John and Charlotte through the censuses? If John died when Elizabeth was young then she may have got his name wrong. But if she is the daughter of Elizabeth in my post #2 then she may have just made up a name for her father to save face at her marriage.

Christina
    William Burroughs

1851 HO107/1907/409/4
    John Retallack 44
    Charlotte Retallack 32
    Catherine Retallack 11
    Elizh Ann Retallack 8
    John Best 29
    John Cock 26
    John Hancock 25

So Catherine and Elizabeth are sisters but this Elizabeth not the dau of Elizabeth who's baptism in 1846 I found.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Trying to be helpful, though possibly not adding anything further -

Remember that not all births were registered prior to 1874.

Luxulyan parish registers are online. https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1769414
    Scroll down to 'browse through images', then select Cornwall, Luxulyan, baptisms 1813-1851, in turn.
    Baptisms for 1843 begin at about image 89.

Thought that perhaps the PRs for Luxulyan hadn't been transcribed to the Cornish Online Parish Clerks site but it seems they have. Just checked the coverage.
    https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/

As I understand it, Cornwall census for 1841-1891 are complete on FreeCEN.
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    As they're transcribed by people familiar with local names they're likely to be more accurate (although they can only transcribe what's written) than those transcribed by the commercial sites. There is a James Retallack in Luxullion (sic) in 1851. Remember to check which year you're searching, also tick the 'phonetic search on surname', and (census) county. You can search for a first and/or surname county-wide, or for a surname in a village/county-wide, etc, and there's a birthplace/birth county option too.

Pam

p.mca

Thank you, those are interesting thoughts, I guess I shouldn't necessarily put so much emphasis on the James as father info. Maybe this is the Eliz with mother Elizabeth in 1851;

Joseph Bice 46
    Elizth Bice 36
    Mary Grace Retallack 13
    Elizth Ann Retallack 4
    John Bice 1 Mo

Household schedule number: 133
    Piece: 1906
    Folio: 277
    Page Number: 35

But this is guesswork. Frustrating!

Well this looks like the baptism of Mary Grace from the 1851 census
    Mary Grace Retallick
    Christened 3 Dec 1837
    At Roche, Cornwall,
    Mother - Elizabeth Retallick
    Now there is this
    1841 HO107/145 book 9 folio 22 page 11
    Pendeen? Mill Roche
    Betty Retallick 28 A thick black line through her occupation! Born in County? Yes
    Grace Retallick 4 Pauper. Yes
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast