Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    The number 5748 refers to Frederick Magee. On Ancestry search Military records,then search WW1 pension records. Type in his name and reg number. The records that they have stat he wasn't married I the earlier part of the war,it does mention a woman's name and address as 'friend' it is not Johanna McGrath.
    Ah, now I know why I wasn't getting anything for Frederick, just for William. I hadn't got the pension records in my 'quick links.
    So thank you for that clarification, Pamela.

Pam

Wow, what a coincidence with those service numbers.
    But, unless it is the same person telling massive lies, they are two completely different people. Though slightly difficult to be the same person when they have different distinguishing marks.

Pam

MrsGriffy

I am finding this all very fascinating, how do you think did he managed to be called by his middle name on a legal documentation, it is definitely him. I spoke to my nanna and she said that they called him Fredrick but she thought it was more of a nickname.
    If i want to look further into his life, such as marriage and children, how am I best to look into it, I have tried to do some searches on ancestry but being a novice I am not getting anything from the census 1901 or 1911. I am trying to find out mainly about the children he had prior to my Nanna as they passed away when they were young and my Nanna never found how or even what they were called as those things weren't talked about years ago.

Again I cant tell you how much this has helped and I really appreciate your time

Thank you Rachel

Famous for offering help & advice

Where did he live?

MrsGriffy

Hi This is what I have so far:

William Fredrick Magee
    Your great grandfather
    Birth 01/09/1894 in Ravara, Ballygowan, belfast
    Death 1 Dec 1971 in Crewe, Cheshire, England
    Frederick Magee
    Regiment or Corps: Irish Guards
    Regimental Number: 5748
    Hope that help

Quote Originally Posted by MrsGriffy View Post
    Hi This is what I have so far:

William Fredrick Magee
    Your great grandfather
    Birth 01/09/1894 in Ravara, Ballygowan, belfast
    Death 1 Dec 1971 in Crewe, Cheshire, England
    Frederick Magee
    Regiment or Corps: Irish Guards
    Regimental Number: 5748
    Hope that help
    The brutal truth is no, not a lot. Though perhaps a bit, but it does depend on the reliability of where that information came from.
    What will help, and ensure that there is absolutely no confusion about Frederick/William Frederick, is that you look at the rims of the medals for the name and service number. Check all the medals to make sure the details are the same.
    Spent too many hours chasing wrong people before to go down that road again.

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there I am away now till Monday. Will check back in then.

MrsGriffy

Hi Everyone, I have managed to look again at my Great Grandad medals and all three of them say 5740 but I don't know if you can tell me what 'Replacement' means that is written on all of them?
    Thank you all for your help again

Also I have found these two documents- referring to Florrie Rogan....any ideas how I could find out who she could be?

Rachel

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

What name and other details are on the medals also?
    As for replacement, it means exactly that, his original set were lost/stolen/who knows and eh applied for a replacement set at some stage, It is usually noted on his MIC.

regards

Robert

Just to clarify from the 2 records held on FMP -
    Soldier No 57480 is a William Henry Magee, born Shankill, trade Blacksmith, joined 122 Company, Royal Engineers, 30 Sep 1914.

Soldier No 5748 is a Frederick Magee, born Carrickmannon*, Ballygowan, trade Waiter, joined 1st Battalion Irish Guards, 16 Oct 1914, aged 21yrs 36 days. MrsGriffy has provided 2 images from this record at #18 above. There is a 12 page record on FMP and nowhere does the name William appear - only Frederick or Fred. He was demobbed 18 March 1919 - permanent address 17 Brooks Terrace, Cambridge.

Mrs R(?)ogan is a "friend", down as next of kin,

* - the Parish of Birth is extremely difficult to make out. Looks to begin "Carrick......." and could well be "Carrickmannon".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast