Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Clynt

Default Commander John Francis Alexis ROBBINS RN

Commander John Francis Alexis ROBBINS RN was said to have died in 1933 (in Ancestry.com). I'm trying to find his date of death and where he died. Thanks, Clynt (in Sydney, Australia)

Hello Clynt
    The 2 trees on ancestry do not give any source for the death. I can't see a death for a John F A Robbins on FreeBMD or for his wife Violet Maria L nee Bennett.

I'll see if I can find any other records after the 1911 census.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Clynt

Default Commander John Francis Alexis ROBBINS RN

Thanks Christina.

I'm fairly new to British Genealogy. The box to the side says that since 2007 I've made 8 posts but thanked nobody. Is this how I thank you? Or is there a button somewhere that says "Thanks" as on some other websites?

Thanks, Regards,
    Clynt

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

in the blue bar underneath the posts,,,to the left,,is a thanks icon,,,just click it

Clynt

Hello Christina,

Commander John F. A. ROBBINS' wife Violet Maria Llewellin (née) BENNETT died in Chelsea Dist. of London in 1970 (but on England & Wales BMD she is shown incorrectly as "ROBINS"). Her ashes are with some other ROBBINS family members at the St. John the Baptist Churchyard, Boldre, Hampshire.

Thanks,
    Clynt

Hi Clynt
    Commander J Robbins 37 with his wife Violet 30, dau Violet 7, dau Jocelyn 3 and a Mr Charles L Bennett 32 (Violet's brother?) were on their way to Australia aboard 'The Mistocles' They boarded in London and were disembarking in Sydney. They were intending to make Australia their permanent future residence. Whether they did or not?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi
    I posted my last post without seeing your post re Violet snr's death.

The whole family travelled back to UK in 1936 on the Mongolia leaving from Brisbane and arriving London. Their last permanent address Australia. So John F did not die in 1933

Did Violet M leave a will? I can't see any probate record on ancestry because I think they only go up to 1966. To acess later records one has to do it in person. TNA info Here

What happened to the two daughters Violet F and Jocelyn? They were 29 and 35in 1936 and still with their parents.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Clynt

Hi Christina,

Commander ROBBINS was A-D-C to Sir Gerald Strickland, Governor of NSW at a time that it was de rigueur that Governors come from GB. Sir Gerald next went to Malta, so Commander ROBBINS (and family) may have accompanied Sir Gerald to Malta. As for daughters Jocelyn Mary and Violet Frances, there are a couple of ROBINS with appropriate initials in the England & Wales BMD. Perhaps the family (including mother, Violet) dropped the middle B because so many misspelt their name.

Regards,
    Clynt

Reputation beyond repute

His date of birth would have been helpful. However I've found that it was 29 Oct 1875. One death that meets the criteria is -

Deaths Mar 1957
    ROBINS John F 81 Yarmouth 4b 462

Death was actually at the Royal Naval Hospital, Great Yarmouth (see Probate Calendar). You would need to get the death certificate to confirm.

Clynt

Hi Christina,
    Can you please give me a link showing Commander ROBBINS and family leaving Brisbane on the "Mongolia" in 1936 for London.
    Thanks, Clynt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast