Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Clynt
    Sorry but links to sites with exclusive use of records can't be done.
    The record you need is on ancestry. Your local library probably have the free version where you can view the record and download it.
    From the homepage click on the search bar then enter Violet M Robins. scroll down until you come to Immigration & Travel then click on Incoming passenger lists. It is the first one.

If you have trouble accessing ancestry at your local library you could sign up for their 14 day free trial (don't forget to cancel a few days before or they will charge a 12 months sub) Let me know how you go.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

Deaths Mar 1957
    ROBINS John F 81 Yarmouth 4b 462

Death was actually at the Royal Naval Hospital, Great Yarmouth (see Probate Calendar). You would need to get the death certificate to confirm.
    Well spotted Peter - the permanent address shown in the probate calendar - in Brockenhurst suggests a possible link too, to the mention made by Clynt of the widow's ashes being with other family members at the church in Boldre - only about 3 miles down the road

Clynt

Hi Christina,
    Found this voyage easily. Thanks !
    I was wondering why the family left Brisbane in 1936 when they lived in Sydney. It was misleading on Ancestry; in fact by going to the actual image, one sees that they left Sydney; the ship, "Mongolia", may have stopped in on Brisbane on the way.
    I also found Jocelyn Mary ROBINS' marriage to Lieut. John COCHRANE on 4 Dec 1937 (elder sister, Violet Frances ROBINS was a bridesmaid). Their Mother, Violet Llewellin ROBINS (née BENNETT) died on 6th June 1970, aged 87. John Francis ROBINS died on 25 Jan 1857.
    It seems that the ROBBINS family dropped a B out of their surname.
    I haven't yet found a marriage or death for Violet Frances ROB(B)INS.
    Lieut. John COCHRANE's family have a long Royal Navy heritage.

Regards,
    Clynt

Reputation beyond repute

John Francis ROBINS died on 25 Jan 1857.

You could order the will which might provide valuable information about the family.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It seems that the ROBBINS family dropped a B out of their surname.
    I found this under another form of the spelling, hopefully it will assist your journey......

https://www.robyns.talktalk.net/INDIs/II434.html

Listing in the London Gazette 1 October 1897

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../5380/data.pdf ( bottom RH corner)

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D8121023 there are 2 entry on this site

Clynt

Lieut. John Cochrane (referred to in my posting, above, husband of Jocelyn Mary (née) Robins) became Commander John Cochrane. My info says that he was killed in action on 5 Feb 1941. He was stationed at HMS Nile, a shore base at Ras el-Tin Point, Alexandria, Egypt. From 'The War Graves Photographic Project' his grave is at Knightsbridge War Cemetery, Acroma, Libya. I would be very interested in details of the action in which Commander Cochrane gave his life. I understand that there were Special Forces operating out of HMS Nile and it is possible that Commander Cochrane ad involvement with Special Forces.
    Thanks,
    Clynt

SueNSW

The authoritative website Naval-History.net records him as being drowned at Tobruk - but also records him as "missing - presumed killed" - but as he has a grave at the War Cemetery his body presumably was recovered and identified at some point

The initial capture of Tobruk from the Italians was effectively completed by the end of January 1941 - so possibly he died as a result of an accident - a death certificate would be available through the GRO - quoting War Deaths Naval Officers Indices (1939-1948) - his name, rank and the name of his unit - ie NILE.

It's a gamble though - depending on the circumstances it may tell you absolutely nothing about the cause of death - but perhaps it may be a bit more informative

SueNSW

A further look through the above mentioned website on a day by day basis gives the following for the 5th February 1941

"A motor schooner was mined at Tobruk. Lost on the schooner was the Assistant King's Harbour Master, Tobruk, Lt Cdr J. Cochrane."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12