Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LizChinn View Post
    The 1861 John Robins cannot be mine as mine was in NZ in 1861. I thought the 1851 John Robins app shoe maker was the one I wanted but the occupation seems unrelated to his which was given as sail maker [deaTH CERTIFICATE] , mariner [marriage certificate] and tent maker [NZ Dunedin electoral rolls] also I excluded him because his death certificate says that his father was in the army no other information is known.Where to from here? Your advice appreciated
    The only thing you can be most certain of in the above statements is that he was a tent maker in NZ! Tent maker and sail maker don't seem too far a leap - both working with canvas.

The informant on the death certificate gave John's length of time in NZ as 24 years but they may have been taking an educated guess or believing what John or others may have told them. So really all we know is that he and Janet were in NZ in 1863.
    Same thing with his place of birth and father's name and occupation.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

LizChinn

Thanks I can see that I would not get any more info than you provided
    So where to from here?
    Is there a list of British mariners in the 1845-63 period?
    There is a family tradition that John fell in love with Janet on a sea voyage and jumped ship so they could marry which they did in Dunedin NZ in 1863 The marriage record shows his occupation as mariner and he subsequently worked as a tent and then sail maker but I am am stumped Grateful for any steers you can suggest

LizChinn

Missed this one
    In fact I have found neither John or Janet's arrival in Dunedin

Hi
    You could try the Crew lists and agreements guide on The National Archives site Here.

I haven't looked at it so I don't know whether there is anything helpful.

Christina
    William Burroughs

LizChinn

I can't find anything that seems connected but its a very complicated process and I may have missed something
    Looking over all that you have suggested I think I will return to Australia and see if I can follow Janet from Portland [which I think is Melbourne] to New Zealand
    Maybe John will turn up during that
    Fingers crossed
    Many thanks for all your help thus far It's really guided me

Hello again
    I took a look at Janet's arrival in Australia with her father Francis, mother/stepmother? Margaret and siblings John, Jane and Janet. Where did Francis and Margaret die? Also where did Jane and John marry and live? I can see a francis in Dunedin and one in Canterbury but only males named! Typical.

Christina
    William Burroughs

LizChinn

Christina I believe you are sitting at your computer just waiting for my questions Thank you so much for all your help
    I have a death for Francis in Dunedin for 10 November 1874 A notice in the Otago Daily Times newspaper of 12 November says copy to Victorian papers Also a burial in the Northern Dunedin Cemetery notes that he had been in NZ for 7 years I assume that this is Janet's father but do not know how to prove it There is are also records of a John Maule and a Mary Maule but once again I do not know how to connect them with Janet & Francis.Janet aged 19 spinster and John aged 28 mariner [did you learn to rad with the Janet and John Readers?] were married in the manse of First Church Dunedin on 4 th of April April 1963 by the Revd T Burns I assume that they were married in the manse because either one was not a Presbyterian or it was a quickly arranged marriage Their witnesses were a mariner and a servant There are two Francis Maules one is a sea captain and sometimes its difficult to keep them apart The other Francis seems to have spent time around Canterbury but the Francis I think is mine is in the Dunedin Otago region as are the children who I think are his family One of the great difficulties is that 1863 is exactly the time of the big Otago gold strikes and the incomers were so many that it seems that many / most names are not recorded I welcome your thoughts

Hi
    Portland is approximately 360 klms West of Melbourne.

So Francis left OZ in 1867 according to his burial notes.
    Now Janet's age on marriage was 19 (in 1863) so born c 1844 whereas the shipping record in 1855 has her age as 8 so born c 1847. As her parents weren't witnesses at the marriage (still in Victoria) it looks like Janet upped her age. Otherwise she would probably have had to have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian.
    I can't see a death registration for a Francis Maule other than for a child age 6 weeks in 1883.
    Who is the Margaret Maule who married as Margaret Hall Maule in 1885 to Herbert Albert Reader She died 1950 aged 84

Something I noticed today, there was an infant Alexander Maule on the same ship as Francis and family in 1855 but not listed on the same page as them

Back to the search

Christina
    William Burroughs

LizChinn

Hello again Christina and thanks again You have confirmed much of what I have stumbled across According to am image that a friend downloaded from me from Scottish People Janet lawful daughter of Francis Maule Innkeeper and Janet Cochran,Sponser was born 7th September and baptized September 12 both 1845 by the Rev W Brown [I think] Minister of this parish so when she married in May 1863 she would have been 18. Margaret Maule was probably the widow of Francis The Hall may help me find a marriage for them and also the death date of Janet Cochran my Janet's mother Scottish death's are really hard to find
    The infant Alexander according the Tribal pages Maule family tree was the son of Francis and Margagret Alexander died on 30 Jan 1855 during the voyage to Australia according to the record from Victoria Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists The Athletae arrived Portland Australia February 1855 I can't read the cause of death No Robins on the list and no crew listed that I can see So I am no further to finding where John Robins came from and how and when he got to NZ Further thoughts???

Margaret Hall Maule in 1885 married Herbert Albert Reader. She died 1950 aged 84
    This Margaret couldn't be Francis' widow if the age at death is correct because that would make her born c1866 which is far too early.

Got to leave this for now but will be back later in the day.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast