Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi
    No further ahead with this but just occurred to me that I don't know the names of Janet and John's children. He may just have given some of them family names such as after a brother or sister which may help identify him in England. Desperation is setting in.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

LizChinn

ISSUE OF JANET MAULE AND JOHN ROBINS
    No. NAME When Born Where Born When Died Where died Married
    1. ROBINS, William 11 Mar 1864 New Zealand 16 Oct 1929 New Zealand 02 May 1899
    DUMONT, Fanny Eliza
    2. ROBINS, Janet 04 Sep 1866 Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand 22 Jun 1940 Auckland, New Zealand 24 Feb 1885
    JACKSON, Samuel
    3. ROBINS, Frederick George 11 Nov 1868 Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand 14 Mar 1898 San Francisco, California, USA 09 Mar 1889
    CORNISH, Mary Ann
    4. ROBINS, Mary Jane 20 Feb 1871 New Zealand 25 Jul 1933 New Zealand 01 Feb 1893
    WRIGHT, William Daniel
    5. ROBINS, Charles Chipplin 26 Oct 1873 New Zealand 17 Nov 1932 Wellington, New Zealand 29 Apr 1914
    LIDDY, Kathleen Agnes
    6. ROBINS, Ellen Isabella 08 Oct 1876 New Zealand 24 Aug 1951 Dunedin Central, Otago, NZ 09 Dec 1895
    GILLAIM, William Frank
    7. ROBINS, John Francis 11 Jan 1879 New Zealand 03 Jul 1948 Wellington, New Zealand 1906
    NEWPORT, Amy Thussa/Thursa/Thirza
    8. ROBINS, Henry James Cochran 07 Dec 1880 New Zealand 28 Sep 1945 Queenstown, New Zealand 06 Sep 1900
    CABLE, Millicent Harriet
    9. ROBINS, Henrietta Chisholm 08 Dec 1884 New Zealand 22 Nov 1958 New Zealand 16 Apr 1906
    WILSON, Robert Lockie

In great haste
    Hope you can work this out as the table did not copy and the headings do not line up The name under the child's name is the name of the spouse
    Any ideas you will be much appreciated
    Off to the local library to see if I can lcate the other gg grandfather in a List of of NZ Company Emigrant applications Our John is unlikely to be there as the Dunedin settlement was completed before he got the NZ Smiles and thanks
    Liz C

LizChinn

Hello there Christina
    I have been trying all sorts of on line links in an effort to locate John Robins arrival in NZ as it seems that going backwards maybe the safest way to proceed. I have had no luck with existing passenger lists Australia and UK to NZ in the range of 1840- 1863 Apart from the information that I hve posted to date I can add nothing else Advice please should I
    shelve it for the present
    post it on another heading
    or
    Would appreciate your thoughts
    Lovely weather here in Nelson NZ and I have virtuously completed pruning my roses
    Hope to hear from you when you have time
    Liz Chinn

Hello
    I came on to post a reply to you 'cos I am feeling guilty about leaving it so long but I was only going to report that I haven't been able to find anything other than what we already have.

Son has just gone back to Wellington after 3 weeks with us but I don't think it ispruning weather there! A couple of days ago sister was complaining of the cold but Nelson has a better climate than Wellie anyway.

Things have quietened down around here a little so I will take another look but I think your John Robins is going to prove as difficult to find as my friend's Albert Burgess' origins.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Hi
    I did some searching yesterday and family search has some military records for a few men with name of William Robins.
    Chelsea Pensioners records show a
    William Robins 1780 Berkshire
    William Robins born 1794 Gloucestershire
    another 1782 Stowbridge Staffordshire
    1797 Worcestershire
    1793 Berkshire
    Plus 2 records with no age, no birthplace
    There is also a William Henry - no age or birthplace
    William Ribbens - no age no birth place

Matching up familysearch results with FMP's may be a start but they need to be found after the 1835 birth of John, or at least up to then.

Findmypast has some military records that match with some of those above but no clues as to family.

If William was a Chelsea Pensioner and discharged before John's birth would John know this. I suppose he would if his father was proud of his service and they were receiving a pension or even if William died when John was very young and his mother told her children about their 'brave' father. (I'm thinking aloud here)
    Worst case scenario is that John made it all up!!

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123