MikeO44

Default Help in finding my fathers grave in France

I have just registered with this blog. I am committed to finding the specific site in the Champagne area of France, where my Father was shot down by the Nazis. His name was Cecil Harold Ogden he was a pilot officer of a Lancaster bomber and was attached to 03 squadron, service number 54597 and he was shot down on 15/07/1944. I am desperate to find out the specific town or village he is buried in or near. Any help of any kind which can assist me to discover the circumstances of his death and burial site, as I am desperate to visit and pay my final respects.I never new him, as he was killed in action one month before I was born. I hope someone can help soon.

Best regards,

Mike Ogden

A quick visit to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission at cwgc.org shows that he is buried in Biencourt-Sur-Orge Communal Cemetery in France. The site has directions on how to get there. The entry says that he was 54597 Pilot Officer Cecil Harold Ogden DFC, 103 Squadron, age 26. It also names his parents and wife (I assume that you have those names?).

LostAircraft.com gives a previous Lancaster's serial number as JB278 from Bomber Command based at Elsham Woods, target Karlsruhe. 24 Apr 1944. The then F/Sgt Ogden and his crew of 6 had to ditch in the Channel, but managed to escape and were rescued.

His last Lanc's number was NE136, also from 103 Sqdn Elsham Woods, target Revigny in tactical support of the Normandy Battle area. Homebound, shot down by a night fighter, crashed at Biencourt-sur-Orge. P/O Ogden and his crew of 6 all killed.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Later: If you click HERE you will find a small picture of his gravestone. It's the middle one, shared with W/P Pratlett of the RCAF, a member of his crew.

MikeO44

Dear Lesley,

Many thanks for your help. I am eternally grateful for your assistance in finding my father's grave after all this time, I had almost given up hope, regrettably, my family would never talk about him. I will be making arrangements to visit his grave as soon as possible. Once again, I cannot thenk you enough. I trust you are in good health and wish you all the best.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Ogden

Mike,
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.
    The London Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Use search key "cecil harold ogden" (including the " ") in Text search and click on Update results. Shd return 2 "hits"

To view, click on "THE LONDON GAZETTE........."

OR, even easier, click on "View Page"!!! Only just noticed the box since the site was revamped.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Times, Friday Jun 9 1944
    R.A.F. AWARDS
    The King has approved the following awards for gallantry in flying operations against the enemy
    D.F.C. - P/O C.H Ogden, R.A.F 103 Sq
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"