Tracey Moule

Default James Irons 'Ian' Gamble RAAF 421721

I am looking to find out ANY information about James Irons Gamble from London (April 20th 1916 -June 11th 1944). I have just found out of his existence through researching my family tree - he was my mother's cousin (she never knew about him as his father died in the 1918 flu pandemic and he subsequently emigrated with his mother on SS Balranald to Australia in 1922, before my mother was born). He joined the RAAF (421721) and was in the 467 squadron. He was a flight sergeant on a Lancaster LM22 PO-D that went missing on the evening of 11th June 1944. His body was never recovered.

My mother would love to have a photo of him - he was named exactly after my grandfather James Irons Gamble (1891-1960 - served in WW1 201337). The curious thing is that James Irons junior's middle name was changed to IAN (by 'statutory declaration' which is held by the 'International War Graves Commission'. As IRONS was a family name we would like to find out why this was done - if he did it or it happened after his death (he is commemorated at Runneymede as James Ian Gamble).

This may well be the only information I will ever find out; just hoping someone out there may know more!!

Thanks

T

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

National Archives of Australia has his service record, it is open but not online, so you would have to pay to get it-

Item details for: A9301, 421721

Request copy

Title
    GAMBLE JAMES IRONS : Service Number - 421721 : Date of birth - 20 Apr 1916 : Place of birth - KENT ENGLAND : Place of enlistment - SYDNEY : Next of Kin - GAMBLE EVELYN

Contents date range
    1939 - 1948

Series number
    A9301
    Click to see which government agency or person created this item.

Control symbol

Item barcode

Access status
    Open

Date of decision
    05 Mar 2001

Physical format
    PAPER FILES AND DOCUMENTS (allocated at series level)

Records authority class number

Date registered
    28 Aug 2002

There is also a report of his crash, which is online- https://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp?B=1068823
    If the link times out let me know and I will tell you how to get it.

His service records should have a picture of him.

regards

Robert