Thread: Unknown man

A fountain of knowledge

Default Unknown man

Hi All ,
    major brick wall on this , i and others have research and collated all of the 31 names of the fallen on our war memorial and 1300 survivors from the village that are listed on a commemorative plaque ,used to raise funds in 1919 for the memorial cross in the church yard , how ever we have one name on our survivors list , that we can not find anything about :

Mr I CHAPLIN .

i assume ,as the others , that he has a connection with our village , Newington , near Sittingbourne ,Kent , , he may have been married to someone or was the son of someone in the village , or may have simply worked here ,

so my fellow detectives ... what can you find ?

Dean

Reputation beyond repute

I shan't be searching personally but have you searched the electoral registers and rating records?

I assume that you checked the 1911 census?

I've spent some time tracing the men on similar memorials for my One Place Study, and there didn't seem to be any hard rule. 2 lads born and raised in "my" parish are on the memorial 2parishes away because that was where their parents were living in '18/19. Brothers who had never lived in the parish are on the monument because their parents took over one of the farms. And one is on the memorial under his baptismal forename even though he never used it. I didn't solve that one until his gnephew contacted me!

Is the format the same as the others, with only an initial?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I shan't be searching personally but have you searched the electoral registers and rating records?
    Hi peter , yes we have , including the Absent voters list , one of our team is still going thro other sittingbourne area lists ,

thanks for the input

Dean

A fountain of knowledge

hi Lesley ,
    we are quite a small area and the villages even now overlap , so yes many appear on other memorials etc , but NOT this chap ...

and yes , some had more detail , and some are brothers etc , but again this chap was simply I Chaplin .

thanks for your response

Dean

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Dean,
    You put him down as MR I Chaplin. Are the others on the memorial also shown as MR, or is it just him?
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Hi Dean,
    You put him down as MR I Chaplin. Are the others on the memorial also shown as MR, or is it just him?
    Peter
    hi Peter

sorry , it is just plain I CHAPLIN , he did not die in the war , he is listed as a villager that returned , survivor .

Dean

Are there many Chaplins in your area? It might be worth investigating death Certs?