Starting to feel at home

Default Where To Start - Military Arrest

Hi Guys, Im not really sure where to start my search on this one.

Ive been reading my 2x great grandfather JOHN PATRICK FARRELL's Military record, and it seems he was arrested for assault in 1898. So I have a few questions, as a military man is he still going to have gone to standard prison? or will he have gone to a military prison or such? From the scrawley writing it appears to say

IN ARREST C.P
    SENTENCE 4 CAL
    MOS FOR ASSAULT

What does C.P mean I wonder? Clearly he's got 4 months, I presume Hard Labour?, it says he forefeited pay, and the arrest was 22/8/1898, he is then under police custody 31/8/1898 and returns to military on 31/12/1898, the event was added and signed by the Major, so im guessing its a big deal for him, but not enough to be kicked out.

How do I go about finding records of this trial etc? I believe its in Manchester, but am unsure, he appears to have been with the 2nd battallion Manchester regiment and then on 23/1/1898 is transferred and it then says A.R until 1902 when the column says Manchester again. I will attach the image, if anyone can help me decifer this and find the records of the trial I will love you forever! haha, thanks for the help! I see that ancestry only has until 1892, and a findmypast search didnt show anything up for me, he was

JOHN PATRICK FARRELL - BORN 1870 IN THE EAST INDIES, BUT HIS FAMILY WIFE KIDS ETC LIVE IN ST MARYLEBONE LONDON

Reputation beyond repute

What does C.P mean I wonder?
    C.P. = Civil Power. He was convicted by a civil court, not a military one and would have served his sentence in a civil prison.

Have a look through the National Archives research guides for advice on tracking down criminal trials etc.

I can't read that page by the way. Can you put it on a web site and make it available to us?

Starting to feel at home

Sorry! I didnt realise it had miniaturized it haha, Here you can see it fullsize

https://sinchronicitymagazine.com/wp-...y-Record-3.jpg

Reputation beyond repute

That's much easier to read. Thank you. I don't think I can contribute much more to your interpretation.

Reputation beyond repute

Does "AR" mean Army Reserve? Then he was subsequently recalled to the colours perhaps connected with the Boer War

Starting to feel at home

There is a newspaper report 28 Aug 1898 of a John Farrell attacking two police constables in Lloyds Weekly Newspaper. If the address Little North Street, Lisson Grove rings a bell then he could be your man.
    Gill

Starting to feel at home

YES! Gill that must be him as he lived at Lisson Grove! Are you subscribed to that newspaper archive thing? Be great if you could give me the page! many thanks!

I guess this means he went to jail in London, Would that be on the "after trial calendar of prisoners" that ive found are at the National Archives, seemingly ref HO 140/186 which is london 1898, it says quarter and assizes. It would be interesting to know what prison etc, if thats not in the article.

Id like to point out he went on to be a nice man haha! he served in SA after this and again in ww1 when he died.

Starting to feel at home

I found the article on FMP. It was dated 28 Aug and at the end of the article it said he had been remanded in custody. I could not find a further article giving the sentence. If you do not have a sub let me know.
    Gill

Starting to feel at home

No I dont have a sub to FMP, I had found it on BritishNewspaperArchive, but after looking at FMP its same article, are you able to save the image at all? of the page in the paper and attach that here or PM me it? I use ancestry not fmp and its not on there

I found more entries on fmp search, theyre in the 10th september Illustrated Police News and possibly another in the Blackburn Standard

Starting to feel at home

Thanks to Gills find, we have lots of info now on this! I now know it was tried at Marylebone Police Court, now what i cant find is records of them! the London Metropolitan has archives from 1905, so maybe they dont survive. But does anyone know if Police courts fall into either of the other categories? Assize and Quarter courts? ie could those records be stored somewhere else I wonder. Also what was the state of Mugshots at this time? They seem to be used alot, but idk if for everyone? were they a police station thing, or when you arrived at prison? The Prisoners calendars would they say what prison someone went to? and maybe then that prison would have records? I mean a google for mugshots etc shows results where people had almost mini criminal files (folders) Im just desperate to find out even more. Maybe finding the prison would tell us what Hard Labour he did, as some had to walk on this kinda treadmill thing, others cranked wheels, allsorts it seems. If anyone knows anyone going to the national archives anytime soon please mesg me too, as you could look at that calendar of prisoners for me please. I mean the NA website says this is on findmypast, but i cant find him doing a search, the record on NA is called

"After-trial calendars of prisoners: London, Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey), London (North of the River), London (South of the River) and also Merionethshire and Middlesex " for 1898

I presume this would be the right prisoner list for him having been tried in Marylebone, but these are again Assize, Quarter and Old Bailey prisoners.....im so confused haha