Clarinetguy

Default Long shot looking for Harry Cook

I am researching WW1 men from Coates in Cambridgeshire. One source I have used is the Peterborough Advertiser which reported on 26/06/1915 Mr and Mrs William Cook were, last week, expecting Harry home from Canada to recruit his health. When no news was heard they became anxious. They have heard that he had succumbed on the voyage and been buried at sea.

Now this was not in the WW1 section of the paper (although that didn't really get going until 1916) so I am not even sure this guy was a soldier. However, there were quite a few Coates men who were with the Canadians.

I've tried to find him on one of the commerical sites; I don;'t suppose I really have enough to go on do I. I have though that 'Harry' is/was often used for Henry.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The birth of a Harry Cook was registered in Peterborough June Q 1889. Can anyone find him 1891?

Family Search has a Harry Cook, b 1889, landing Quebec City from England on board "Victorian" in June 1911.

The birth of a Harry Cook was registered in Peterborough June Q 1889. Can anyone find him 1891?
    It looks as if this ones parents are Harry, a mason and Emily and he has acquired the middle initial 'E' in 1891

I did do a search of the 1911 census earlier, for an H Cook, father William, living in Cambridgeshire but couldn't see one.

Family Search has a Harry Cook, b 1889, landing Quebec City from England on board "Victorian" in June 1911.
    Added: And now I know he was on the high seas.

Christina.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Clarinetguy

Thanks. I had completely forgotten to try Family Search - duh!

The original image is on ancestry

Canada, Soldiers of the First World War, 1914-1918
    Harry Cook
    8 May 1918
    Residence - Glen Elm, Huntington.p.a.
    Birth Date - 19 Dec 1890
    Birth Location - Dogsthorpe, England
    Relative - William Cook - Father
    Regiment Number - 3084299
    Single
    Occupation - farm

He is 19 years 4 months, 5 feet 2, fair hair and complexion, blue eyes. C of E

Christina
    William Burroughs

I can find no registration of birth of Henry/Harry Cook/e in Cambridgeshire Dec Q 1890-Mar Q 1891.

If his dob was 19 Dec 1890, how could he be 19yrs 4mnths on 8 May 1918?

Birth of Harry Edward Cook registered Cambridge Mar Q 1890. Might that be the Harry E you found previously?

In his original post, Clarinetguy states news of his death at sea reported in press in 1915.

Clarinetguy

That is very interesting. There is always the possibility that the sad news received by his parents and reported in the newspaper turned out to be incorrect. I don't suppose there are any records of burials at sea anywhere are there?

On FreeBMD 1889-1900 of the 10 birth registrations for Harry Cook none are in the Dec 1/4.

There is a Henry Arthur in June 1/4 1892, A Henry in June 1/4 1893 and a Henry Robert in De 1898.

Christina

Added: Harry Edward also joined up on 10 Dec 1915 -next of kin mother Emily. He was a survey and real estate agent, age 25 years and six months.
    William Burroughs