Darklldo

Default Cordwainers in Durham

Hello, I am trying to locate my 3rd great Grandfather's parents. He was Henry Gibson born in Heightington, Durham in 1782 and was a shoemaker.

I have been looking for seven years for his parents. I have such good records for Henry, but absolutely not sigh at all of his parents, so I thought I'd try contacting any guild for cordwainers in Durham.

Does anyone here know what they are called or where I can find them?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I googled guild of Shoe/bootmakers in Durham + cordwainers guilds in Durham UK =:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/co...oad/?collno=44
    & others which spun about a lot.There are several sites which may or not be of help

1841 census has a Henry Gibson 60 B. 1781 Durham a shoemaker +wife Mary 58 not born in county with son Henry- 17 plumber & Glaziers appy. born local.all res. at Priestgate, Darlington, Durham
    Class: HO107; Piece: 303; Book: 27; Civil Parish: Darlington; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 16; Page: 27;
    Class: HO107; Piece: 2382; Folio: 396; Page: 54
    Henry 70 of Heighington with Henry his son of Darlington & Mary Dtr in law.
    Try Familysearch.org as there are some entries, you would be better placed to choose, or not being in Tassie.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Darklldo

Thank you for looking. I have these two Henrys… it's the Henry Gibson that was born in 1781 whose parents I can't find, and I have spent hours and hours looking.
    I can't believe that with this Henry 1781 having such clear and concise records that his parents are just nowhere to be found.
    Not easy from Australia is it

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Not easy from Australia is it
    So often not. There are so many sites out there to check & many times by dint of a miss-spelt name either by clergy or parent or anyone with contact at the 'doings' things can go horribly wrong. I've seen many such cases in transcribing baptisms.
    I wonder if he was born/baptisedin another area & moved with his parents at a very young age?
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Darklldo

Yes I have wondered this, but somewhere, and I have forgotten where, it was pretty clear he was born in Heighington, Durham… I'm just annoyed with myself that I can't confirm this now.

He definitely stayed in Durham for the rest of his life, married and died there. I have his name in nearly every site I can find but there has been no response at all. I have even fished putting his father's name in as various family names like Henry, Edward, Alexander, Thomas and several others, but nothing

Yes misspelt or misunderstood, oh the mistakes I have come across in my search