Helena Mary

Thumbs up sgt William Disley

sgt William Disley served with the RAFVR service number 659053 died 18/08/43 but not sure where and how.
    please can anybody help?

The best thing that you can do is apply for his records.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Well..hes buried at home,,, https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...LEY,%20WILLIAM so most probably died at "home" so to speak,,,as opposed to abroad.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

he may according to one site have been killed in this crash,,,note the dates match

https://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site...lyde/?date=asc

Hello and welcome to British-Genealogy Helena Mary

as Lesley has said you can apply for William's service records and Lesley tells you how to do it by following this link

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

SueNSW

I had some Scotland's People credits to use up - and can confirm that William did die - following an aircraft accident that resulted in a fracture of the cervical spine - but it's likely not to have been the one referred to in gortonboy's post. His death occurred at 8am on 18th August 1943 at Stracathro Hospital - just north of Brechin in the county of Angus (opposite side of the country - currently showing as over 3 hours drive away on Google maps - to Ballantrae where the memorial is)

He was recorded as a Tanner in civilian life of 38 Starcliffe Street, Bolton - married to Helena Mary (nee Smith) with his parents - James Disley - fish frier and mother Elsie - maiden surname Booth

His father was the informant to the Registrar on the day of his death so presumably had travelled to Scotland to visit the hospital - his usual address was given as 47 Forest Road Smithills Bolton

As a squadron number wasn't included in the CWGC entry it suggests he was probably with a training unit when the accident occurred.

Helena Mary

Many thanks! I have been searching for his grave for ages. It is quite local so will visit.

Helena Mary

Thank you so much! Everything you have told me confirms the story that I heard as a youngster but I have never been able to find the details of his accident nor his memorial .I am extremely grateful.