Thread: Godfrey Brown

SallyT

Default Godfrey Brown

My uncle, Godfrey Brown, served in the RAF during WW2 and was killed, I believe, in a plane crash 1945. I know very little about him but I have been given a wonderful diary that runs from May 28th until November 3rd 1941. Mention is made of Five Flight, B Squadron, of St Brannock's Hotel. Much of the diary relates to an Atlantic crossing made by about 250 men for training to man RAF stations in Canada and the U.S. They sailed on the Windsor Castle. The diary is essentially a travel log of his time 'across the pond.' Names mentioned include Messrs Flint, Fatherley, Upston, Rickard, McNaught and Fraser. Also mentioned, and photographed, are Cpl Wally Dent and Fly Sgt Wright of the R.C.A.F. He sailed home on HMS Chitral. Special mention is made of close friend Bill, christened William George Lewis Dicks. Does any of this ring any bells for anyone? Uncle Godfrey, my father's brother, was from Bradford although I am uncertain about whether he was born there.

Welcome to British-Genealogy SallyT

This 'sticky' explains about WW11 service records, who can apply for them and the information you will need.

The diary is such a wonderful, first hand account of your uncle's WW11 service. I am envious.

The National Archives has a research guide for RAF personnel.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Have you looked for him on the Commonwealth War Graves site?