Speedbird67

Post Grandads Ribbons

I have just found my Grandads Records of WW1. He was awarded the French medal of Honour which his record confirms according to press reports of the era he was also awarded the DCM which his records don't confirm nor do they of his rank as he apparently retired as a RSM in the Essex Regiment but his record states that he was 'Temporary RSM', nor do his records show that he re-enlisted in 1941. I cant find out any other service info at all only the info on the newspaper article attached. Have attached 2 jpeg files. Can anybody help identify his ribbons? Or any other info would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Speedbird67; 12-05-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: error in message

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

First two look like 39-45 star, Africa star, then maybe Italy Star and 39-45 medal.
    B&W photos are hard to read.
    WW2 records and medals - apply here - https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html
    and - https://www.gov.uk/medals-campaigns-...nd-eligibility - just write to the medal office and ask them what medals he was entitled to.
    His DCM would be listed in the London Gazette, so search that.
    You may even find mention of promotion to RSM?

regards

Robert

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,cant read his details...what is his full name and when and where was he born?

Speedbird67

Hi gortonboy, going to have to get back to you on that one (both actually) still doing research on his DOB & POB. Have a clue only at the mo, waiting conf. Walthamstow, Lond around 1875 as he died, it appears, according to an Essex newspaper, in 1941 aged 66. He was awarded the DCM 1919 and the French Meddle of Honour Silver with crossed swords in WWI and a few others in WWII, his service N° was 6677 1st Bat Essex Reg Rank: RSM in WWI, Reg, rank etc not yet known for WWII. Date of death needs conf also. Cheers, Speedbird67

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

What about his name, we cant read those clippings, too small, that would be a big help.

Speedbird67

Sorry about this, get a bit confused with what does what and the where to put things.

William YOUNG. Born: Ardleigh Essex circa 1875 - 1881 Lived in Brentwood Essex until his death circa 1947/48 for 37 yrs. Served 1st Bat Essex Reg Rank of CSM/TRSM retired RSM 1920. Re-enlisted circa 1938/39

(NB I have made significant changes to my earlier entry of today, cant believe the speed things are moving! Thank you everybody, here and elswhere.... Speedbird67)

A fountain of knowledge

By that number I am guessing he is:
    6677 C./ S./M .(T./R.S.M.) W. Young, 1st. Bn., Essex R. (Brentwood)

This is from a Edinburgh Gazette of 1919 -he was a temporary RSM at this point as you can see.

11 march 1920 is his citation for the DCM but I can't immediately find it there?

It also states DCM on his medal index card and temporary RSM, so both are 100% correct.

Speedbird67

Yes thats him, It was forwarded to me as a 'Supplement to the London Gazette' entry is;