Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thewideeyedowl

Default Europeana 1914-1918 project

Hi, Sauchie, and a warm welcome to BritGen...

Yes, like everyone here, I know only too well how frustrating this searching can be. But NEVER ever give up - just try to find another way in!

Europeana 1914-1918 is a collaborative pan-European project about WW1. You can find it here: https://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en. There are lots and lots of different things, e.g. Photographs, letters, ID cards, reminiscences, newspaper articles, and lots lots more. When I entered (1st Battalion, Royal Scots) in the search box lots came up, though admittedly some were not about this battalion - but, then, that's computer search for you. You could also enter your father's name in different forms, e.g. John Hill, J Hill etc etc to see if anything turns up. You will have an afternoon of browsing here, I assure you.

To which town did the Royal Scots return at the end of the war? Check out newspapers local to the area via the British Newspaper Archive, https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. It is a subscription site, but you can search for free. Many (all?) of the newspapers there are available on Find My Past - you can view for free at your local library or take out a free trial (14 days), but remember to cancel if you don't want them to help themselves to your money.

You say your father was hospitalised to Sheffield. You might be able to find out about hospital records there via Access to Archives (A2A), which you can drill down to through TNA's website.

You may not find anything anywhere but at least you will have tried. Do let us know how you get on, and pass on any tips. (I have one absolutely impossible grandfather who was in the ASC!)

All the best

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default Sheffield Hospitals - Archives

Documents relating to Sheffield hospitals are held at Sheffield Archives & Local Studies: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/librari...l-records.html. Unfortunately, nothing has been digitised but you could contact them by email ( address on website page) to find out what there might be that might possibly relate to your father. There might well be info there relating to WW1.

Owl

Thank you so much for your help and encouragement, Owl. I will digest what you have posted Thanks again, Maureen.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try this site dedicated to WW1 launched today

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/Dashboard

Have you tried looking for POOLE

Thanks, Geneius, Will take a look at the new WW1 site - great! I have been studying, searching and writing my family history since 2000. So I have found heaps on my POOL side through various sites, LDS films, newspapers as well as visiting most of my parents' and ancestors' birth (& death) places. But until now had not pursued my father's WW1 documents etc. as my brother has written a book on his experiences (printed but not published). Sadly my brother is no longer with us, so I am kind of floundering a bit with this one. He was not able at the time to find any documentation, it was mostly anecdotal with WW1 history in tandem.

Originally I was looking for a cousin of my father's whom he said was killed in WW1. However I have recently found out he was not! I still wonder if he was in fact ever in the war. His name: James Irvine (sometimes Irving) MACKIE. Born 1881 in Annan, Scotland. I have him in census' up to 1911 and a couple of newspaper items as well as other documents and death.
    Great to know there are people out there willing to assist, where I can, I will do likewise, Sauchie.

Hello Sauchie

I have just realised that this thread was in the Introduce Yourself forum. (ok so I am slow on the up take )

I have moved it to the WW1 forum.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Sauchie, i'm assuming that you are from the area that your name suggests, if so have you been to the library there? they have the microfilm readed if your lucky the card index will have something from around the dates you need, even if its just a general piece about how the war affected the area.

Doh! I knew there was something not quite right - so sorry :q No, I'm the one slow on the up-take! I am sure it is straight forward for most but I have to say, I've struggled a bit Thanks for placing me in the correct WW1 forum - much appreciated Sauchie

Hi dizzy1 - you mean Sauchiehall Street hehe? No, I was born and grew up in Edinburgh and now live in NZ. It was just a name that took my fancy hehe! But my last visit to Edinburgh I was able to access some historical in formation etc. However knocking on the door of the houses my mother and father had lived in was the supreme reward of that visit But thanks anyway - something else to think about; how the war affected my folks. Sauchie.

Hi Sauchie, i actually ment Sauchie Clackmannanshire lol but Glasgow is always worth a visit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast