Famous for offering help & advice

Default Meanings on a pedigree

This is taken from a 1871-1872 book & no explanation is given:

Henry WIGLEY of etc, cousins of etc, 43 Elizabeth, bur. at Scraptoft 1610. What is the 43? It appears with Henrys children viz: Anthony, 37 Elizabeth. also Edmund, 44 Elizabeth. also Henry, youngest son, 37 Elizh.
    So I don't think it can be an age.
    Now Ralph doesn't have a number just: Ralph of Wirksworth, gent., 1594, 1603.
    Thomas of Middleton, son & heir (to Henry), 1594, 1611, died before 1634, s.p.
    Richard of Wigwell, 1594, brother and heir of Thos, 11 Elizabeth.
    In both cases what do the years signify? And s.p.? which appears next to others on the page. And 11 Elizabeth?

Any suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Mitch

Wilkes_ml

It could be one of many genealogical numbering systems as explained here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealo...bering_systems

jac65

Hi

It could be that the people with numbers appear elsewhere in the Pedigree itself. They are first shown as children of their parents and later it shows their marriage and their own children. Those without a number are not shown elsewhere in the Pedigree

Andy

Weirdly...
    There are no numbers on the pedigree itself.
    Only the first two generations spouses have numbers & ONLY if they are Elizabeth! - there are 5 of them as spouse, numbers 11, 37(x2), 43, 44.. The 43 is the first generation. The 11, 37, 44 in the second generation.
    Unfortunately the book the pedigree was published (a quarterly review) does not state the origins of the pedigree....

I think the Elizabeths with numbers are not spouses, but Queen Elizabeth I, with a regnal year preceding. (The same form is often found in the titles of Acts of Parliament.) I wonder if it is being used here to denote the years when reference has been found to the man in question - in other words as shorthand for "was known to be alive in..." Quite why some dates are given with regnal years, and some with calendar years, I don't know.

You also asked about "s.p." - this is "sine prole", Latin for "without issue".

Arthur

That makes sense, and thank you for the s.p.!

Mitch

Arthur got there before me - it's the man's name followed by the regnal year - year of the reign of Elizabeth1.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time