Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

#24 I was working on the basis that Annie VALE is the mother, father currently unknown, when mother married Samuel TATTERSFIELD Ronald was a 14/15 year old boy.....who came to live with the TATTERSFIELD family!

Samuel W TATTERSFIELD b 1879 being Albert R's elder brother

#29 I have checked CWGC for civilain deaths, there are 3 males none can I connect to Ronald.....

#30 Looks like the same person as Ronald gives his occupation as Co director on the 1955 manifest

Also getting Annie TATERSFIELD nee VALE marriage & death certificates may prove good investments & fruitful

www.gro.gov.uk cost £9.25 gbp ( sterling)

Red Herring time Ronald is an anagram of Roland, Albert TATTERSFIELD's second forename!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Interesting story, using the dates he lived to a fine age, 94.

You need to establish a skeleton family tree first, then flesh it out, what would be really helpful would be BDM info for Ronald William's;

Father & Mother (maiden name)

He could not vote until he was 21, which, assuming dob of 1919, gives an earliest date of 1940 (changed to 18 in 1969) to be on an electoral roll. The first election for which he was eligible was likely to be 1945 (26 yrs old) as 1940 election not held due to WWII.

His wife with date and place of marriage and a name for his brother-in-law/father-in-law.

You state that he died in Australia, so there must be a date when he migrated to Australia. There should be an exit document from UK and an entry document for Australia. Also any residence information in Australia likely to be in an electoral roll.

UK and Australian (trove.nal.gov.au) digital newspapers can also be very helpful.

Curious68

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Peter. No I have no name of parents although I should get the mother's first name from the birth certificate. I am working with his brother in law as his children are not interested it would appear. On his death he was quickly cremated and his ashes sent to a friend in Fiji!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes I have his Australian entry information. He came steerage to be a farm worker.
    A few years later after he went back to the UK he returned first class and was a company director.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes thanks Curious 68 I have most of that and a good dossier of his newspaper appearances.
    I must also thank all who have responded. I went away for a couple of days and wham, so many replies. I have garnered quite a bit including information I did not have. I have enogh to keep me off the streets for some time. His ability with German is something quite well known. He had an in law whose family originated in the north of the then Yugoslavia and formerly part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She attested to his perfect German and her grandmother who spoke the rare dialect of that reason had long conversations with him in her dialect.
    I note that one response indicated a Pvt R.W. Vale was a POW in Austria. He may have learnt German there but an obscure dialect?

jac65

Quote Originally Posted by Mekon7 View Post
    Yes I have his Australian entry information. He came steerage to be a farm worker.
    A few years later after he went back to the UK he returned first class and was a company director.
    Just to clarify that you are saying you have his Application for Assisted Passage Form from the National Archives of Australia? This is different to the ships passenger list.

Andy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jac65 View Post
    Just to clarify that you are saying you have his Application for Assisted Passage Form from the National Archives of Australia? This is different to the ships passenger list.

Andy
    No I just have the ship details. Will obtain the application form. Number 9999 on the to do list.
    Thanks

jac65

Hi

It would be worth your while following up on his Application for Assisted Passage form. There are 7 pages and includes work history and medical report, there is also a copy of the letter advising that his application was approved.

From the website (link below) Select Search the Collection on left side of page
    then select RecordSearch (Use RecordSearch to conduct a
    Then enter Ronald William Vale in Keywords Box and Search
    Amongst the results is his 1950 emigration information on the SS Empire Brent, select the image in the Digitised Item column
    It then opens on the first page, you can select subsequent pages using the box top centre.

https://www.naa.gov.au/

Andy

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes good I use them a lot of military stuff. His record is there and it contains useful information.
    Thanks Andy

Brian S

You could always get a copy of HS 8/1009 which is described as Miscellaneous Aide - Memoires in Jugoslavia Personnel Lists 1943 - 44.
    Perhaps would give his name even if he was just on attachment to an SOE Mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekon7 View Post
    I am hitting a large brick wall trying to find anything about this chap.
    He migrated to Australia in the 1950s and married becoming a successful businessman. He died 28 -3 2013 at the Neerim District Soldiers Memorial Hospital at Neerim Victoria, Australia.
    I have found a most probable birth record for him in 1919 in Oxfordshire.
    He lived in London as shown by the electoral rolls as did his parents. They were apparently killed by a V weapon ( V1 or V2). He is also listed in the electoral rolls on 1945 under the military section.
    Alas a search of military records comes up a blank for Ronald William Vale. There are Ron Vales but not him.
    Now according to his brother in law he was a Captain in the Army and was on special operations in Yugoslavia. He spoke fluent German and dialects (we know that as a fact) and was involved in some clandestine work. He was wounded and capture by the Germans but escaped with them(!) when the Russians came. Apparently his father in law when working in the Australian Public Service (Civil Service) saw his record and could confirm he was in the army. That is odd as being in the British services it would hardly be in Australian hands so was presumably requested by the gentleman and was thus generally available to lowly classified staff in Australia in the 1950's.
    I have looked at the SOE records to no avail as I believed he may have been one of their operatives. Whilst a list of operatives is published now, I wonder how complete it is. I also wonder that if he was in SOE or other organisation involved in clandestine work why his cover of being a Captain in the Army would not exist.
    Any suggestions as to where to next would be appreciated. If he was as we are led to believe, I think he deserves some recognition even just amongst the family.
    Thanks in advance

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast