Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    janbooth

Snap Peter & Christine! Too late as usual.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Snap Peter & Christine! Too late as usual.

Janet
    Not too late at all Janet. I like it when someone else confirms what I am finding and thinking! Especially when I can lose the plot quite easily.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's very relevant but in the 1911 census, 19 Matham Grove is occupied by Annie TATTERSALL, a 53 year old widow and her sons Albert and Frank. I haven't been able to find this on Ancestry (apart from in the summary books) but it's on FMP (and it's a miracle to find anything on FMP these days).

You definitely want that 1919 birth certificate and possibly the 1923 marriage cert.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Have you got his parents' names? Are they on an Australian marriage certificate - Yes they are, so another option.

regards

Robert

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Christina
    Yes that is what I found. I have researched the occupants of that address and there was a couple there I thought may be his parents or related. Alas no, there appears to be no connection, but given he gave the address when he went back it is likely they are connected.
    What I did not add at the time was that his father was supposed to have been a senior British Diplomat. Easy look up the Diplomatic list for Vale. Not so easy, there is none. The birth registration may explain that given his mother's maiden name was Vale. So she had a child out of wedlock, married to whom? So far I have not found a marriage record that seems to correspond. I will get the birth certificate to see if it helps but I suspect it will not.
    Funny the family always regarded him as a mystery man even labelling him 007! Maybe.

Paul

Hello Paul

I think you are on the right track purchasing the birth certificate. You can get them online at the GRO using the information from FreeBMD

I can't find any evidence of service or other military records for Ronald which he could have explained away by saying his job was hush hush. It sounds to me from what you say about 007 that the family may have been a bit sceptical about Ronald's version of his war service.
    I would be getting the birth certificate then maybe applying for a service record. The only problem with this approach is that it will cost about 30 pounds, take months to receive an answer and then be told that there are no records. But at least it would help clear up the mystery.

Others may have other/better ideas.

Just a thought - the District Soldiers Memorial Hospital wouldn't have anything on their records?

Christina
    William Burroughs

jac65

Hi

There is a document on the National archives of Australia website that may be what his father-in-law referred to. If you search his full names using link below you will find a copy of his immigration document that mentions he was in the army and a POW.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Searc...sicSearch.aspx

How close a relative are you? To apply for his service records you would need permission of his next of kin, and you would need his death certificate. As he died within the last 10 years you would also need permission from next of kin to obtain his death certificate.

Andy

Reputation beyond repute

Alas no, there appears to be no connection
    As pointed out in message #8, there is a connection between the two families.

I will get the birth certificate to see if it helps but I suspect it will not.
    It will tell you at the very least the mother's name and provide a date of birth for you to check against other data.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Ancestry has the following entry in it's PoW records:- Private RW Vale, Hampshire Regt., Service number 5499648 held at Stalag XVIII-A, Wolfsberg, Austria PoW No.6145 - Record Office: Infantry and Army Physical Training Corps Record Office, Stanwell Road School, Ashford, Middlesex; Record Office No.23.

Martin

Two good finds Andy and Martin
    I am now going away to practice my searching skills because I was using the sites you did and nothing came up. Too much detail entered I suspect.

Paul

The National Archives Here will help with researching POW records

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast