Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ronald William Vale

I am hitting a large brick wall trying to find anything about this chap.
    He migrated to Australia in the 1950s and married becoming a successful businessman. He died 28 -3 2013 at the Neerim District Soldiers Memorial Hospital at Neerim Victoria, Australia.
    I have found a most probable birth record for him in 1919 in Oxfordshire.
    He lived in London as shown by the electoral rolls as did his parents. They were apparently killed by a V weapon ( V1 or V2). He is also listed in the electoral rolls on 1945 under the military section.
    Alas a search of military records comes up a blank for Ronald William Vale. There are Ron Vales but not him.
    Now according to his brother in law he was a Captain in the Army and was on special operations in Yugoslavia. He spoke fluent German and dialects (we know that as a fact) and was involved in some clandestine work. He was wounded and capture by the Germans but escaped with them(!) when the Russians came. Apparently his father in law when working in the Australian Public Service (Civil Service) saw his record and could confirm he was in the army. That is odd as being in the British services it would hardly be in Australian hands so was presumably requested by the gentleman and was thus generally available to lowly classified staff in Australia in the 1950's.
    I have looked at the SOE records to no avail as I believed he may have been one of their operatives. Whilst a list of operatives is published now, I wonder how complete it is. I also wonder that if he was in SOE or other organisation involved in clandestine work why his cover of being a Captain in the Army would not exist.
    Any suggestions as to where to next would be appreciated. If he was as we are led to believe, I think he deserves some recognition even just amongst the family.
    Thanks in advance

Welcome to British-Genealogy Mekon7

You do seem to have a mystery to solve.

On a trip back to England in 1955 he gives the address he will be staying at as 19 Matham Grove West Dulwich which is the same address as the 1945/50 Electoral Roll. So if his parents were killed in WW11 I wonder who was living there in 1955.
    Using the birth date of 25 May 1919 he gave on this shipping list then this is the only birth that comes up in 1919.
    Births Sept 1/4 1919
    Ronald W Vale mother's maiden name Vale
    Brentford Registration district vol 3a page 202

Others with more experience with service records will be along to help.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Is this the date of emigration I wonder.
    Ronald W Vale
    Age 30 so born about 1920
    Occupation - Station hand
    Last permanent country of residence is England at 19 Matham Grove SE22
    Departed Glasgow 6 Apr 1950
    Destined for Sydney
    Ship - Empire Brent P and O shipping line
    Master - E C Laidlaw

Another record has him on the same ship with his address as C/O the State Migration Offices in Brisbane Queensland but arriving Fremantle WA on 7 May 1950
    William Burroughs

I keep forgetting to say that WW11 service records are still held by the MOD and can be applied for through this site https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

You do not need his service number I don't think but you will need a copy of his death certificate.

Take a look at the order form and see whether you have enough information to apply.
    As I said before someone else will know more detail than me.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

You could try the London Gazette to find any promotions or gallantry medals, I had a quick look but I don't like the new setup and could not find anything. It will take a bit of trawling through all the pages!
    But it will give you his service number which will make applying for his service records easier.
    Since he died only recently, you will have to check if they will give you anything, especially if you are not related.

regards

Robert

Reputation beyond repute

If he was an officer he should appear in the Army Lists. Do you have access? There are some online.

19 Matham Grove seems to be of some significance. This was the marital home of Albert Roland TATTERSFIELD and his wife Mary Ann Charlotte (formerly DOREY). They appear to have had one child Annie C TATTERSFIELD who seems to have married Ian HOCKMEYER in 1938. They lived in Rusholme Road SW15 and Albert TATTERSFIELD came to live with them eventually.

There doesn't yet seem to be much evidence to back up the family story.

I would buy the birth certificate

Have you got his parents' names? Are they on an Australian marriage certificate? If they were killed by enemy action, there should be entries in the CWGC site. There were three civilians called VALE killed during WW2, all male.

The 1939 Registration for 19 Matham Grove may be of interest.

I would get the 1919 birth certificate that Christina found if I were you.

Inspired by Peter's finds I took a look at the 1955 electoral roll to see who Ronald was visiting on his trip back to England, and as Peter has found in 1839, Albert R Tattersfield and Mary C were still there in 1955 and Daisy V Sherry was with them.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

This is interesting

In the 1935 Electoral Register 19 Matham Grove also includes a Samuel William TATTERSFIELD.

In 1923 Samuel W TATTERSFIELD married an Annie VALE in Camberwell.

So it looks like there is some connection between the TATTERSFIELD and VALE families.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This is interesting

In the 1935 Electoral Register 19 Matham Grove also includes a Samuel William TATTERSFIELD.

In 1923 Samuel W TATTERSFIELD married an Annie VALE in Camberwell.

So it looks like there is some connection between the TATTERSFIELD and VALE families.
    Good find Peter. The birth certificate for Ronald could just show the mother as Annie do you think?

Christina
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Perhaps a bit late for you, but the 1956 Electoral Registers show that 19 Matham Grove was occupied by a Horace V MILLS & a Lilie MILLS, a Daisy V SHERRY & an Albert R TATTERSFIELD & Mary C TATTERSFIELD.

There is a marriage registration in the September qtr 1923 at Camberwell reg district of an Annie VALE & Samuel W TATTERSFIELD - could this be the connection and could Annie VALE perhaps be the mother of your Ronald William??

Could be a bingo moment. The 1921 Electoral Register shows 19 Matham Grove to be occupied by Annie TATTERSFIELD, Albert Roland TATTERSFIELD, Frank Alexander TATTERSFIELD, Mary Charlotte TATTERSFIELD & Samuel William TATTERSFIELD, the latter presumably being the same person who married Annie VALE in 1923. Samuel William continues to live at 19 Matham Grove and is still there in the 1938 Electoral Register.

I think as both Christine & Peter have suggested, your number 1 priority is to purchase the birth certificate of Ronald William VALE in 1919 and if his mother is shown as Annie VALE, you have found the connection.

Janet

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast