BevMatth

Default Can anyone help me decode ww1 medal card?

Hi everyone. Was wondering if anyone can help shed some light on the above medal card from WW1. I have no clue what any of it means except 179 Battalion Royal Field Artillery!

Thanks very much for any help anyone can give me.

Bev

Reputation beyond repute

Even looking at the National Archives index of medal index cards will help, even if you're not going to buy there.

That says:

Royal Field Artillery 90527 Regimental Serjeant Major
    Royal Army Service Corps Second Lieutenant

See the London Gazetter. he was temporarily promoted to 2nd Lt on 2 March 1918.

By the way Bde means Brigade, not Battalion.

Also have a read of the official advice page here -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-cards-ww1.htm

That may answer more of your questions

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Top line in pencil- he was issued his British War and Victory medals on 7/9/21
    In the RFA (Royal Field Artillery) he was a RSM - Regimental Sergeant Major and had service number 90527
    Then transferred to RASC (Royal Army Service Corps) as a 2nd Lieutenant , the cross beside this line and the medals indicates that the rank of Lieutenant would be on his medals. He was commissioned on 1.3.18
    His two medals were issued on IV (issue voucher) 4494/w on 7.9.21 , the rest of the letters and numbers had some meaning then, but no one knows now what they mean, some sort of clerical reference.
    He entered France as his first theatre of war on 4/3/16
    The back page has a reply to a EF9 form sent to them about his medals (Officers had to apply for their medals). THe red line says that Royal Artillery sent a nominal roll of Commissions on 24.8.20

regards

Robert

BevMatth

Thanks both for getting back to me I really do appreciate it. Is there any more information I can get based on what is on the medal card? I have found a service record for before the war but nothing for during the war. Thanks again. Bev

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

The card refers to the medal rolls - RASC roll off1 page 172, they may have more information about his regiments, but may not. Other than that, no.
    Service record for officers are not on Ancestry, they are at National Archives, and not online. You have to visit there to see them.
    This is probably him - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls?uri=C716974

regards

Robert

BevMatth

Thank you once again! I'll have a look and see if I can order it to be copied for me. I've had items copied and sent before and it seems to be a good service if you cant get to Kew. I'll also have a look into the medal rolls and see if I can find out more. Thanks once again for your help. Bev