Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    f.pullan

Default No Luck AT ALL finding WW1 records!

Hello everyone,

I am really struggling to find war records for my grandfather's family! He definitely served in the War, as he is listed on his marriage certificate from 1918 as 'soldier' and definitely survived, as his son was born in 1937, Joe Pullan. We also have a British War and the Victory medals from him.

Here's the info I have:
    WILLIAM PULLAN, born 1896 in Armley, Leeds. Son of William and Frances Pullan. He married ANNIE ELIZABETH STEAD on 26 November 1918 in Leeds.

He had two brothers, both of whom I cannot find any records for from the war years or after the 1911 census, even though we know they had families.

JAMES PULLAN, born 1895. Married Mary Emma Marshall.
    JOE PULLAN, born 1890. Rumour has it he moved to London to join the Metropolitan Police, but this is uncorroborated at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ancestry has 14 medal cards for William Pullan, half with a middle initial. Are there service numbers on rims of the medals?
    There's also pension records for John William P, William Atkinson P and William E. P.

CWGC have 5 J Pullan entries, including a sailor. There's also 30 J. Pullens.

James Pullan married Mary E Marshall in the June quarter of 1916 in Hunslet, West Riding of Yorkshire.
    There's quite a few deaths for James Pullan in W.Riding, including on who died in Leeds in 1968 aged 74, approximately the right age for the birth date you quote.

f.pullan

It's really the war records I'm wanting - no numbers on the rims. William didn't have a middle name whatsoever - he was just plain old William Pullan!

Thank you!

I suggest that you try working your way through the records on Ancestry and see which ones had the British War and Victory medals, but not the 1914/15 Star. If you can find the medal card, it'll give you the regiment and service number.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Are you sure there are no other details on the medals, all British issued medals in WW1 had the rank and regiment listed (except for officers, just rank) so it seems odd?

regards

Robert

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,what was his address when he got married? does 27 Hartwell gardens mean anything to you?

f.pullan

Hi everyone!
    Oh crikey, really? I didn't know that about the medals. Dad showed me them last night, and I couldn't see anything on them. Will have to ask to have another look - is that correct? EVERY medal issued had all the rank/regiment on them?

No, don't know that address. Where is that, please?

We have him in 1911 at Empress Street, and in 1918 at Cedar Mount. I've lost him again following the war, but by 1937 he was in Houghley Grove, then a couple of years later Houghley Avenue.

When you look at the medals, have a look around the rim. That's where the info on my GUncle's is.

f.pullan

OH MY GOD! You're right! I would never have noticed this!

Right, it says: PTE W PULLEN 29551 W.YORK.R.

Is there a way to search via the number, do you know?
    Thank you SO MUCH!

Reputation beyond repute

You can identify him among the medal index cards now.

West Yorkshire Regiment 29551 Private
    Labour Corps 425967 Private
    Royal Fusiliers GS/110678 Private

And you can try to find a service record but most of them did not survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast