cam15a

Default Abbreviation in Parish Register

I was wondering if anyone knew what this abbreviation in the Baptismal register of St Dunstan, Stepney is and what it means. It is found in the Abode column for quite a number of the entries. It looks to be NROT but I can't be certain.
    I will be grateful for any suggestions.
    Anne

Hi,

We could better help you if you point us to the Ancestry page, that way we can see the record for ourselves and compare the handwriting.

cam15a

It is the baptism of Louise Elizabeth Thomas daughter of John and Hannah Thomas at St Dunstan, Stepney on 16 Jan 1825 in the Ancestry collection "London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906". I hope that is enough to find it.

Thanks, Cam1 5a,

On first glance it looks like West, but I'll look into it further.

This old map may help. I will look later, but now have a few jobs to do.

https://locatinglondon.org/index.html

Reputation beyond repute

MEOT = Mile End Old Town

Well done, Peter. I had thought it said Meots, but stupidly didn't associate that to Mile End Old Town, and that despite the fact I'd looked in parish registers written by a different curate for an abode and saw Mile End Old Town............. doh!!!

cam15a

Thank you both.
    It just goes to show the importance of maps in this business, especially for the non-local.

Just goes to show the importance of having people we can ask. This is one of the reasons I love British-Genealogy. The members are all so helpful and so very quick to give that help freely.

I have learnt a little more today just by reading this thread.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time