Thread: Charles HART

Default Charles HART

I would like a little bit of help in trying to find information on my grandfather from the first world war. His primary regiment was The Norfolk's, Regt. No: 15226, Private; he was demobbed in 1919 as a Royal Dublin Fusilier.

I believe that he was in Gallipoli, Thessaloniki, Egypt, but no idea where else. Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

thehunter

Reputation beyond repute

His medal index card, which presumably you've found, certainly says he was at Gallipoli (2b = Gallipoli)

If you can't find a record among the burnt documents or pension records (both available on Ancestry), I'm afraid you're probably running out of options. Most service records were lost during WW2.

You may find which battalions he was in by following up the reference on the Medal Index Card and checking the original medal roll. You could then search for and read the unit war diaries but not knowing when he changed regiments adds another layer of uncertainty to it all. You may not be able to do all that online.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

You may be able to find out when he was wounded by searching local newspapers. They may have a list of wounded.

regards

Robert

hello robert

Charles was probably suffering from frostbite and/or something else, because as far as I can remember, he was taken sick in Salonika - 17 December 1915 - and was later in General Hospital, Alexander 10 days later. But I will keep digging

thanks