Thread: D.l. Gooch

Steelsnail

Default D.l. Gooch

Thought I'd pay a fiver to search my grandads records on here . What a disappointment . He was in the reme's and was a sergeant . He survived the war but died several years ago . I thought I would at least find where he had been and campaigns he was involved in ,but nothing . Is there anywhere else to look ?

Are you talking about WW2? In that case, the records have not yet been released by MOD - the best thing you can do is apply for a copy of his records.
    WW 1 records have, where they survive, been released, but as most of them were burned during WW2 you have to be lucky to find them

BTW use of this forum is free - if you gave us some info, our experts might be able to help a bit.

Reputation beyond repute

And the link for obtaining service records is -

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

For reference, you will probably find the National Archives site helpful when searching for archives of national interest

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

Follow the links from "Find guidance"

Steelsnail

Thanks for your fast replys . I paid the fiver to forces war records thinking it would have access to WW2 records .i can't find anywhere where it says it doesn't . A bit misleading I think . But I will follow your links peter thanks .

A fountain of knowledge

It certainly does say that it doesn't have access to such on the FWR site (unlike other sites IMHO!) https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/tutorials

To be fair: -if it stated it had 'complete' military records (like others -google & see!) then it would indeed appear to be misleading, if it stated it definitely had something it didn't then it would also mislead, in my opinion, of course.

Contact the support- you have paid in error -a free search would have informed you the site didn't have a record and the tutorial would have confirmed it -however support is good and I am sure a refund will be forthcoming as a goodwill gesture.

Steelsnail

Hi timbo , I'm not looking for a refund and I did do a free search . But when that page came up another box appeared covering it so u couldn't see any info . The other box was the payment prompt . I admit I rushed into it cos I was a bit excited as I thought it would have info behind the payment box . I have wasted more than a fiver at times in my life so not an issue
    I like the forum section and u guys are very helpful . Thanks again .