Thread: Probate query

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Probate query

I have from the National Archives a will written 22 Nov 1778 by a William Gambold, purser of HMS Superb who died in Madras 2 April 1780.

It says that it was proved in London 9 May 1781 and that the Executors were a James Bowen and a Benjamin Millingchamp (his brother in law).

I have since found at the National Archives a Probate inventory, or declaration, of the estate of the deceased, with account. April 1782 (i.e. a year after probate was first granted).

The second document is very detailed about his estate, chattels and credits, and identifies that he had 11 properties in Cardigan, which were rented out, and the amount of rent arrears due from each tenant and collected by Benjamin Millingchamp, as well as his debts - he had borrowed money in 1778 for different people, and was paying them interest, which had not been paid.

Millingchamp also lists out his own expenses.

The amount of "assets" was £557 and the "debts" £143, which leaves a relatively healthy £510 plus pounds. However, nowhere in the assets is there any valuation of his property. So my question is was this common practise at this time, not to include the value of "any freehold messuages, or tenements with their appurtenances" in an individual's estate?

The story gets a little more interesting in that a naval purser's role was that of the person on a ship responsible for the handling of money on board. The purser existed as a naval rank (warrant officer) until 1852. The development of the warrant officer system began in 1040 when five English ports began furnishing warships to King Edward the Confessor in exchange for certain privileges, they also furnished crews. Later these officers were “warranted” by the Admiralty. Pursers received no pay but were entitled to profits made through their business activities. In the 18th century a purser would buy his warrant for £65 and was required to post sureties of £2,100 with the Admiralty. They would usually charge the supplier a 5% commission for making a purchase and it is recorded they charged a considerable mark-up when they on-sold goods to the crew. The purser bought everything (except food and drink) on credit, acting almost as a private merchant. In addition to his official responsibilities, it was customary for the purser to act as a literal private merchant for luxuries such as tobacco, and to be the crew's banker. As a result, the purser could be at risk of losing money and being thrown into debtor’s prison. The position, though unpaid, was very sought after due to the expectation of making a reasonable profit.

In 1784 a William Robertson who had been his agent in London and managed his accounts, was charged that in 1783 he had forged a receipt for delivery of provisions to the garrison at Goree (Senegal) in 1779 from HMS Superb and in some way this had involved Purser Gambold. Robertson’s trial at the Old Bailey included evidence from William Gambold’s executors that in fact William Gambold’s estate was worth much less than had been expected, and there was indeed virtually nothing. Robertson was acquitted.

I know that in Nov 1782 Robertson had tried to claim a debt of £251 from the Executors, but as it is not mentioned in the sworn declaration of 1782, I have to assume that it was never accepted.

It's the question of the valuation of property that I am really interested in.

Reputation beyond repute

Real estate wasn't normally included in inventories. See the National Archives research guide