Wilkes_ml

Default 1851 census:missing towns & villages

After spending endless amount of time searching both Ancestry & FMP for Felstead, and blaming the new search facility on both the sites, it only suddenly dawned on me that there may be parishes missing ( doh...it's one thing I keep forgetting!!!)

So just a reminder to others who can not find their Essex ancestors in 1851....

Aythorp-Roothing, Bardfield-Saling, Barnston, Broxted, Chickney, Easton Lodge
    Felstead, Great Bardfield, Great Canfield, Great Dunmow, Great Easton, Hatfield-Broad-Oak or Hatfield Regis, High Easter, High Roothing, Leaden-Roothing, Lindsell, Little Bardfield, Little Canfield, Little Easton, Little Dunmow, Margaret Roothing, Morrell-Roothing, Stebbing, Takeley, Thaxted, Tilty, White Roothing are all missing from the 1851 census

Reputation beyond repute

Or in other words, the whole of Dunmow registration district.

For anyone who may be interested, here's how to check what's missing from the census using the National Archives catalogue -

In Advanced Search, enter the following -

Keywords: missing OR wanting Add any other keywords you want eg Essex

Date Range: 1851 to 1851 This is only to distinguish between 1841 and 1851 - you don't really need it for later censuses.

Search within: HO107 (or RG9, RG10, RG11 etc)

In theory this should work but I spotted one doubtful area. A notorious absence from the 1861 census is the Belgrave sub-district of St George Hanover Square. I have a feeling that this was included in the old catalogue marked 'missing' (or 'wanting'). Now it doesn't seem to appear at all. Perhaps I'll ask them.