Thread: HeartBleed Bug

Titanicfan

Question HeartBleed Bug

Hi all, as the HeartBleed bug OpenSSL encryption vulnerability has affected a lot of website's servers recently, I wondered if the British-Genealogy forums website servers were made vulnerable at all? Is there any need to change my password now?

adrian56

G'day as far as I'm aware this affects the Android platform i.e. Smartphones etc. although it wouldn't hurt to change your password anyway I change mine every two weeks !
    Regards
    Adrian

A fountain of knowledge

Hello All, I'm pleased to announce we have no such vulnerability on our systems & servers, all data and passwords are perfectly safe.

However I would agree with adrian56's comments above that changing passwords on a regular basis (and definitely not keeping the same one for multiple sites) is the way to go.

The beauty of BG being owned by a professional web company is that we have several people working full time who can tackle security issues, so we can all sleep easily!

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by timbo58 View Post
    The beauty of BG being owned by a professional web company is that we have several people working full time who can tackle security issues, so we can all sleep easily!
    Let us all pray that this is not a case of 'famous last words'

A fountain of knowledge

Indeed.

These things can come back & haunt, but I think we are probably better prepared than most -that's not being arrogant but most forums are not owned and run by web professionals in the first instance so it can take weeks to fix the simplest errors let alone huge security crises.

Titanicfan

Thanks for the info. I will change my password to be on the safe side anyway.