BADGER.BRAD

Default What to do with Freebmd information ?

Hello All,

I have found using freeBMD some family information but have no idea what to do with it it gives volume and page numbers of my Grans death but no further information

Thanks all

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

The site you are using is a breakdown of the registers for births,deaths,and marriages. The information is a transcriptions of those registers, if you want further information, as to address of the deceased, acutual date of death, cause of death you will have to purchase a copy of the certificate, using the volume and page numbers that are shown. The cost is I think £9.(nothing comes cheap).

GeoffW

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can buy the certificate on line from the General Registry Office. Each one cost £9.25.

You will need the year, the quarter, the volume, the page number as well as the name as it appears in the register and the registration district.

Go to https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

It has a whole section dealing with questions etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BADGER.BRAD View Post
    Hello All,

I have found using freeBMD some family information but have no idea what to do with it it gives volume and page numbers of my Grans death but no further information

Thanks all
    Freebmd is an index of BMD's transcribed by volunteers. It is an excellent resource for giving information necessary for ordering certificates from either GRO, or a local [to the event] Registry Office.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Freebmd is an index of BMD's transcribed by volunteers. It is an excellent resource for giving information necessary for ordering certificates from either GRO, or a local [to the event] Registry Office.
    I should have added: local Registry Offices do not use the volume or page numbers as supplied by Freebmd, these are references used by GRO.

BADGER.BRAD

Thanks everyone for the information, much appreciated I now have a couple of certs on thier way !

Would it have an index of bastardy/affiliation orders? I just heard of these, and I am at a bit of a loss as to how to find them, but I think they might have merit in my search.....

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    Would it have an index of bastardy/affiliation orders? I just heard of these, and I am at a bit of a loss as to how to find them, but I think they might have merit in my search.....
    No, BMD Indexes that are on FreeBMD, and other BMD indexes are just for post 1837 Births, marriages & death certificates.

Bastardy Bonds and Examinations are usually kept in the County Record office and may be indexed locally. Not all bastardy bonds or examinations survive, and you would need to contact the relevant County Record Office to enquire as to what they have.

Also Quarter & petty sessions that may have reference to bastardy orders are also held at the County Record office.