AngloScot

Default Margaret Hodge Chalmers WRAF Saltley College

I am researching - with limited success - Margaret Hodge Chalmers, who served in the WRAF in 1918 at Saltley College in Birmingham and died there on 2nd November 1918, of the flu. She came from Motherwell in Lanarkshire, Scotland and is the only woman from WW1 whose name is on the local war memorial. She is buried in Motherwell. However, there doesn't appear to be a record for her in TNA and I can find next to nothing about the WRAF in Saltley College. Does anyone have any info on Miss Chalmers's service and/or the WRAF unit at Saltley College? I have pieced together a family tree, but am still looking for info about her service.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Do you have this - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...RGARET%20HODGE , it gives her service number.
    She should be here - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...rwomen-ww1.htm , but isn't. Maybe contact MOD and find out?

regards

Robert

AngloScot

Hi Robert. Thanks for that. I've got her on the CGWC site, but it's finding out about her life in the WRAF which is proving a problem. I don't know why the National Archives don't have her name indexed.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know why the National Archives don't have her name indexed.
    I don't know how complete the series AIR80 is particularly for those who died in service. The MoD may have done some weeding before the records were passed to TNA.

If you have a look through some of the other WRAF WW1 casualties (say those who died up to 2 Nov 1918) you'll see that some are included in AIR80 but many are missing.