Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree, Jan, Thomas could be a relative but not necessarily a brother; there's also the possibility he is unrelated, a friend perhaps, I have an example in my own ancestry where a Broadbent married a Broadbent and they were unrelated, this too in West Yorks. With surnames common to an area not all will be closely related.

As an aside, I looked for Hannah Tolson's baptism, but didn't find one with father William.

Nicolina

you also need to be aware of the different spelling variations. HINCHCLIFF - HINCHCLIFFE - HINCHLIFF - HINCHLIFFE. They randomly appear as any one of these and seem to keep the same Christian names amongst the different branches, especially for the males. I gave up on them because of the confusion and just tried keeping, strickly, to the direct line. However I also have two other HINCHLIFFE families marrying into my family but have not connected them.
    Following on to Almach's BROADBENTs, I attended a wedding where not only the bride and groom had the same surname but also the Registrar who performed the ceremony and none of them were related. I was the only one there whose surname was different.

janbooth

This looks to be the burial record of George HINCHCLIFFE snr at Thornhill on 6 June 1862, aged 73 of Lees Moor and probably wife Elizabeth on 25 July 1857, aged 68 of Lees Moor (both courtesy of Ancestry's West Yorkshire parish records). I was hoping that perhaps George snr had left a Will but he does not appear on The National Probate Calendar so probably not. However, his burial record does tend to corroborate the baptism I found for George HINCHCLIFF son of James in 1788.

Janet

janbooth

I don't know if you already have details for Hannah TOLSON, but she is in the 1841 census of Dewsbury (HO107/1268/4, folio 7, page 6) living at 24 Fall Lane with William TOLSON aged 40, Clothier, and Peace TOLSON aged 35 and 9 siblings, everybody born in the County of Yorkshire. Marriage on 17 June 1822 at Dewsbury All Saints of William TOLSON, bachelor, Clothier, & Peace ELLIS, spinster, both of the parish, both marked.

This looks like the baptism of Hannah:

14 March 1824 at Dewsbury All Saints Hannah TOULSON daughter of William & Peace, Dewsbury, Clothier

Janet

khinch_USA

Yes Janet, I do have these records of Hannah Hinchcliffe (née Tolson) and you are correct. An odd fact is that the name Ellis occurs thoughout my American family and I never knew why. my brother is James Ellis H. my cousin is Bryan Ellis Adamick, my father was Ellis H. his father was Charles Ellis H. Cousins in Oklahoma whom I never new existed have the first or middle name Ellis peppered thought the generations. It was though Hannah Tolson's mother Peace Ellis, this name entered our family and took on a life of its own.

khinch_USA

Janet
    From US immigration records of ships arriving in New York on 20 Apr 1846, a large number of Hinchcliffes left Liverpool bound for New York, among them were Hannah, Thomas, John a few Mary's and many others, the passenger list of the ship does not however list the relationships of all these people. Oddly, George Hinchcliffe is not listed among them. I know for certain from US Census records that George and Hannah left England with two children, John and Mary. It is possible that George left ahead of his wife and children to set up a place to live.
    Is there a registry of emigration in the UK that may have listed the departure? Ancestry.com has not led me to any successful resource confirming their departure dates.

janbooth

Sorry, I cannot find anything about George's departure or arrival via Ancestry either. It looks as if wife Hannah and children Mary & John all departed on the "St George" but absolutely nothing for George himself. Of course Ancestry haven't shown the actual passenger list just a transcript, so it could well be he is on the list but has not been transcribed.

Janet

janbooth

I'm wrong - there is an actual passenger list record under Hannah's name and as you say there is no George but there is a John HINCHCLIFFE aged 24 who is shown as a Clothier - perhaps they just transcribed his name incorrectly!! I wonder if the Thomas HINCHCLIFFE shown on the List is the one who was a witness at George's wedding?

Janet

khinch_USA

Thanks Janet.....I did think this was a possibility. George and Hannah were the same age so that is a possibility. I really need to do my homework on this Thomas. I was thinking the same think about he as the witness at the wedding in which case he was likely an uncle or cousin. Thank you again. :-)

janbooth

Could be worth trying to find the baptisms of the children shown on the passenger list - those that are legible anyway - to see if the others, apart from Hannah's John & Mary, are the children of Thomas and his wife and try to find Thomas's marriage record which may give you a clue as to his parentage.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12